z

Young Writers Society

How Do You Review?

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:06 pm
TigersMoon says...

Are your reviews long or short? Do you prefer nitpicking every detail or being extra encouraging? Do you have to write two reviews before posting a new work or do you review whenever, post whenever?

I, personally, always do three reviews before posting a work so I keep a good balance. Normally mine are medium length and I nitpick whatever I can find.

Let me hear about your reviews! (So maybe I'll know who to ask to review my
stuff :wink: )
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Most often than not, I go on a review streak then I just hibernate and repeat the process again. The way I review changes over time, but as a general scope, I don't focus on everything nit-picky detail because to me that's just pointless. I'm not a grammar Nazi nor will I ever been a grammar Nazi (in fact you've probably spotted several grammatical mistakes already). I tend to attack the content of the story, their tone, the characters and the syntax of the story. How logical are the events? The pace, dialogue, etc...

The length of my review depends on the quality and length of the story, though I have been trying to cut back my rambles a bit and be more concise. If you can't stand harsh or brutal reviews, then you'll hate my reviews. I'm mostly stick and no honey, unless I really like something in which case, I will tell you why I liked it.

But like I said, nothing is set in stone. Everything is in flux, for now.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 am
Pretzelstick says...

Well I have a set style for my reviews. Here is what I do. I read the work one time, getting my first impression. When I read the work a second time, I take out quotes in it to put into my reviews. I never have a intro and usually start with nitpicks. Then I move onto paragraph form. To clarify my nitpicks usually aren't grammar (I have the keenest sense to pick up every little mistake on any sentence: something isn't realistic or doesn't make sense, repetition, cliches, anything really)
I have a hard time being general but I try to suggest things to develop the dialogue, characters, etc.I read the story a third time. Then I read the whole review one time to pick up on typos or non complete sentences etc. This usually takes me in forty minute blocks of time and I have no interruptions and I don't like taking breaks.

I really try to do my reviews looooong.I hate when I write short reviews, and I don't know why. It's almost like a phobia, every time that I write a shorter review I feel disappointed and like I didn't do my best.

I used to sugar coat but now I absolutely stopped. I really tell my honest opinion (although I am less harsh then some other reviewers) but I stopped sugar coating things. If I tell you that you as a writer have a talent, that is a rare thing, one compliment that I say post like fifty writers. And then there novel has to be good enough if I will follow it.

I made myself a rule that I have to start every novel from Chapter 1;I can't jump in the middle ever! Also my friends encouraged me to step out of the box but right now,I can't really review poetry, only prose (IDK)

And about posting, I rarely post works because I get nervous plus I have recently had a writers block. But I have no set number interval,I review when I want and pay when I want.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
— Mark Twain