57%
Black and blue
43%

Total votes : 69

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:11 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

Can't seem to get away from this thing, and after a long conversation about it on chat, we may as well have a poll to decide once and for all!

It's been tricky to avoid, but essentially, what colour is this dress?

Go ahead and duke it out.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:21 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I think it's something of a combination, actually, but white and gold fits best. I think it's a greyish-gold and a pale inversion of that gold, a very light blue, in lighting that enhances the appearance of it being blue instead of white. Testing this theory out in GIMP, it appears it checks out, but can anyone else verify?

Also, the gold appears more greyish because it's transparent lace on top of the blue/white underlayer.

(I can see how someone could think it was blue/grey, but black?)

--edit-- checking sources, it appears this is either an elaborate colorizing hoax or someone used a filter on the image that really distorted the color perception. Like I said, I can see how someone could see it as blue in that photo, but I can't see black; just ugh. Why am I thinking this early in the morning.
stay off the faerie paths

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:51 pm
Sunshine1113 says...

Apprently it is supposed to be black and blue according to this article and this article the reason it may seem white and gold or blue and back depends on what you were looking at before looking at the picture. Your eyes will perceive to colors differently depending on how they adjusted to the lighting.

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:55 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

This dress looked to me blue and brown so that is why I didn't vote.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:58 pm
Pompadour says...

The lace is like a very dirty black that's more on the slightly brown side (think Victorian era polluted skies), and nearing the top the brown is kinda more obvious. What I describe as 'brownish-black' other people might see as 'dull gold', though. This is probably the effect the light has on the dress without filters or whatever.

The rest of the dress is pale blue and decidedly /not/ white for me.

This frustrates me, not just because I bet the dress is prettier in gold and white :P but oh, look at this. The whole thing is dead interesting and it's funny how one dress can cause such a ruckus everywhere. DX
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:13 pm
Hannah says...

So at first I was convinced it was white and gold, but I find that when I look at just the bottom of the picture, I can see it as blue and black.
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:28 pm
Astronaut says...

I think it should just be based on the color of the dress itself, because some people see blue and gold, blue and brown, etc. i can see why people might be able to see gold, but WHITE?
I don't have a signature.

Spoiler! :
Bet you didn't see that coming...

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:44 pm
Snoink says...

I see a very pale lilac and gold. >.>
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:51 pm
Zolen says...

white and brown
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:51 pm
manisha says...

I saw white and brown/gold. When I asked my mum and brother (I didn't give them the choices beforehand) they saw blue and black. O.O
I cannot see how they can see a darker color on that!
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:06 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

So our eyes are naturally drawn to colors and those colors have shadows and light thrown on them but light isn't naturally WHITE as a lot of us may know from suddenly getting white light bulbs. The external light is actually more of a yellow which doesn't "drain your skin of color."

One of the ways that artists play with your mind is to use this theory to balance between reality and a fiction. In order to get a highlight on something, you layer colors like yellow, red, and purple beneath whatever color you're trying to create. In doing this, artists have to learn to identify what color is actually there from the shadows and things instead of what the base color is (like the sky is blue).

Basically your brain thinks that the blue in that image is just a result of a shadow, and it is used to discounting that as something White in a shadow.

There is an article about this dress and how to see it both ways here: There are pictures!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 pm
Augustus says...

umm.. I think thats Blue/white and Gold. I don't think there's Black colour :?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

-Albert Einstein

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:24 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

The science of why no one can agree on the colors of the dress
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:27 pm
WritingWolf says...

Sunshine1113 wrote:Apprently it is supposed to be black and blue according to this article and this article the reason it may seem white and gold or blue and back depends on what you were looking at before looking at the picture. Your eyes will perceive to colors differently depending on how they adjusted to the lighting.

I just tested that. I looked at the dress after being on the computer for a bit (so I was looking at a bright screen) and it looked white a gold. Then I covered my eyes for 30 seconds (probably a bit longer then that) and looked at it again and it was blue and black. That's so cool!
But it didn't work for my sister. :( I wonder why the difference...
Last edited by WritingWolf on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:28 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Dang it, I already know about this little bug in color theory, how the eyes try to auto adjust to light levels which can totally invert or over expose colors on people.

Real colors found by pulling them out of the dress.

Spoiler! :

Still see it as brown and white though.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages on which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, which is well to worth staying up all night to finish.
— Lemony Snicket