z

Young Writers Society

Keyboard question

Which type of keyboard do you like better?

Bulky old one
56%
Slim new one
44%

Total votes : 16

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:13 pm
Pretzelstick says...

I just have a survey question for all of you:I was just wondering because I am trying to decide between the two

Which one do you like better?

or this one

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:39 pm
Mea says...

I like the old ones because I can feel every letter I type, so I always know exactly where my hands are.

It drives me crazy when the things propping it up break, though, because I hate using those keyboards when they lie flat.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:06 pm
Kale says...

If you want a really nice keyboard, there's very nice mechanical ones which are a lot more responsive because you don't have to push each key all the way down, which reduces typing strain and helps improve your typing speed. They also last much longer. The one big downside to them is that they're a bit noisier than other kinds of keyboard on account of having physical switches that click every time you press a key.

I personally prefer extended keyboards (number pads and function keys are awesome) with a decent amount of space in between the keys so I don't accidentally hit more than one key at a time. The slimmer keyboards tend to have keys that are too small and close together, and the spacing for the keys is weird sometimes with itty bitty backspace and tab keys. Why anyone would design a keyboard with a tiny backspace key is beyond me, especially since it's one of the most useful keys on the keyboard.

If portability is an issue though, the newer keyboards are a lot more portable, and you can even get gel keyboards that roll up to make transportation easier.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:37 pm
View Likes
Anima says...

That's not old! -~- I like the really old ones!

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:50 pm
Pretzelstick says...

I am used to my new one but what happened is the backspace kind of broke @LadySpark :D and so I am deciding which one I want to have!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:21 am
Willard says...

Bulky ones provide more comfort for me. Slim ones just don't do it.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:05 pm
kayfortnight says...

Slim ones, because that's what's on my laptop, which I use more than anything, so I'm used to it.

I just realized a few days back that I have shiny spaces worn into my keys where I hit them most often. For example, I tend to hit my space bar with my right pointer finger (I don't follow the asdf finger placing method when I type) so there's this small worn spot on the right side of my space bar where I tend to hit it when I'm typing. It's amazing to look at my keys and see some things I've never noticed about my consistency when I type.

Advice wise? Go with whatever you're used to. The other kind will feel just wrong. I can barely type on bulky keyboards now since all my writing is on a slim one.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor