z

Young Writers Society

The YWS Cup II

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:17 pm
Adnamarine says...

Can you clarify the exact start and end times? You mentioned the cutoff for joining, but not when we should begin and end.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:33 pm
View Likes
PickledChrissy says...

Count me in! :D
A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed ~Second Amendment.

I love my guns. ;)

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:37 pm
Pretzelstick says...

@Firestarter look at Adnamarine question
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:09 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Hey Adnamarine,

I have not stated the beginning and end times as it depends on the number of competitors. The higher the number of entrants, the more rounds we will require! Looking at current numbers, it looks like about 5 rounds minimum, so assuming you would get to the final, the end date might not be until end of April.

This is because each match is a week long, and there has to be some recovery times in between rounds.

I may suspend the cup, for example, if the majority of entrants need to do exams, however! You guys will just need to let me know about when they are.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:40 am
Firestarter says...

Current Entrants (23):

Morrigan
Wolfare1
AdrianMoon
Zhia
pretzelsing
Strange
LadySpark
Lauren2010
KatyaElefant
Iggy
Demeter
StellaThomas
CHRISSY321
lostthought
QueenAnne
Kyllorac
Dracula
Meandbooks
PenguinAttack
Pamplemousse
TheWanderingWizard
Adnamarine
PickledChrissy

Ideally, we would like 32 entrants. That means we need 9 more people before next Monday! Please can everyone advertise the cup (feel free to use the hashtag #ywscup) to drum up interest. Ask your friends to join. If we have 32 it means there will no first round byes which makes it fairer and more exciting!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:21 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

I guess I'm in~
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:24 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Sure, sign me up.
stay off the faerie paths

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:03 pm
View Likes
ArcticMonkey says...

I'll sign up :D
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:12 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Spoiler! :
Sane, reasonable side of me: "Your schoolwork is more important. You won't have the time to compete in this."

Crazy, adventurous side of me: "Then I'll make time."

SRSM: "Your reviewing has been lacking for the past few months, so there's no way you're going to win."

CASM: "Oh, is that a dare? Bring it on!"

SRSM: *facepalm*

Besides, I already died and reanimated once - during the first ever YWS Hunger Games - so I might as well do it again. (Perhaps I might even get lucky and have users like @Deanie and @Wolfare1 face off against each other...) Who knows, maybe this will even help me earn my fifth star.

:D :D :D CONSIDER ME SUBSCRIBED AND PARTICIPATING! :D :D :D

~ "The only thing over which you can have absolute control is your attitude."
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:06 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

That puts us on 27 competitors in total! It's hotting up!

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:16 pm
View Likes
guineapiggirl says...

*reads "unsportsmanlike" comment* *feels a bit sheepish* *vaguely croaks about my dad's internet connection breaking for two hours* *feels dozens of eyes boring into me through the internet, filled with loathing and absolute disgust* *falls silent*

OH, I really really want to try to defend my title... But my GCSEs are just round the corner and I'm no good at prioritising, so I'd end up staying up until 2am the night before an exam writing reviews. Plus I'm fairly sure everyone would try their utmost to get me out anyway XD

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:37 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

Firestarter wrote:That puts us on 27 competitors in total! It's hotting up!

@Firestarter- the competition is hotting up because you are about to start a fire! (get it??) :D :D :D :D :D
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:41 am
View Likes
Corncob says...

Hey, I'm scared, but I'm in :mrgreen:
I do have questions, though: What happens if you lose to someone? Do you get kicked out? And in the end, does the person with the most number of reviews win or the most number of matches won? (This starts on March 1st right)
Thanks!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:46 am
Firestarter says...

@1morestupidlovesong If you lose, you are knocked out of the tournament and no longer compete. It can be a bit brutal - half the entrants will go in the first round.

In the end, the person who has beaten each of their opponents in their match ups will win. There could be a scenario where someone else in the tournament has the most number of reviews, but the winner is the person who never loses.

The cup does not start on March 1st. That is the cut off point for entries. The cup will start in the first week of March TBD. I will PM everyone with details.

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah