z

Young Writers Society

How's school/college?

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm
Apricity says...

Because procrastination rocks.

I'm currently in my third last year of high school, and failing epically with anything that isn't related to humanities. Everything inside humanities, not to brag, but I pretty much get 90% or above most of the time. I took a creative writing course last year for one semester and it was pretty interesting. What worries me the most is my maths and science (because my parents wants me to go into Med), and they are both my worst subjects. It's not that I'm unwilling to learn, but it's more like my brain can't grasp the concepts.

And ah, this year, if I can get into these teams. I'm gonna join cross country and debating.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:08 pm
StoneHeart says...

Grinding through Calculus & Physics on my family's home school system. We tend to concentrate on Math-based subjects so stuff like Creative writing goes out the window -sadly- and I have to concentrate on just 1/2 subjects till our books on them are done and buried.

Kinda worried. 18 coming up fast and ... well, when you're raised by older brothers that kinda means a boot to your backside whenever you become a drag (or whenever your social security benefits end). So the facts of the life are coming down with sharp claws on my conflicting skills and hobbies. >:V
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 pm
StellaThomas says...

@Widdershins - omg what songs??

I find it so funny that you can do different classes in different schools in the US? Here everybody has to do Maths - you can do it at Higher Level, Ordinary Level or Foundation Level (foundation is like addition and subtraction), but everybody learns the same stuff. I took Higher Level and I enjoyed it but... When am I ever going to use integration? Practical maths would indeed be helpful! But I guess I can see the point in teaching the more academic stuff anyway.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:52 pm
EscaSkye says...

Well, I'm currently a third year college business student who's also taking a minor in literature. I've got three major subjects this semester: Finance, Marketing, and Operations. I'm doing well with the latter two, but Finance is killing me! Assignments are all right, but when I have an exam, I feel like banging my head on the desk because I feel like the stuff I studied for flies away the moment I hold the questionnaire.

As for my minor, though I'm an undergraduate, I'm taking up a grad class on Text and Textuality, with some of my classmates being professors themselves in other universities. Suffice to say, when we have to report in front, I get a bad case of fright. Thankfully, they don't mind. They're very nice people! I'm the youngest one there, haha.

Minor and majors aside, I've got a Philosophy core too. We currently focus on the "dominant system" and such. As for extracurricular, though I'm not active now, I'm part of this language club which aims to learn the culture of other countries as well as their language. All in all, it's pretty stressful, but it can be fun too. There are just times I feel like headdesking but it's all good.
Not anymore.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:36 am
Holysocks says...

I'm currently homeschooled through an online school. Basically I'm in grade ten right now... I ignored school for a couple years, so I've been having LOTS of fun trying to catch up. I hate to complain, but I really want to be done with school already. I honestly would ditch most of school if it wasn't that I wanted to take some college courses for future careers. :3
100% autistic

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:17 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Danny Boy, Ireland's Call, Parting Glass, Molly Malone, uh... The Unicorn... (is that Irish?) and there are others. But not When Irish Eyes Are Smiling. I was disappointed about that one. XD
We have a renditions of Ireland's Call where we have to sing in Celtic, and I'm just like "wut. o.o These words do not make those sounds."

I would find that system of teaching/learning really constricting. I really like being able to choose from lots of different classes, and I like knowing somethings that other people don't know, as well as them knowing things that I don't. Because there's no way that we all can learn everything, so why not divide what we do learn to benefit society, right? I dunno. I bet it's easier the other way. :P
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:36 am
Lava says...

@StellaThomas - you in boarding school just makes me think of you as an Enid Blyton character. In the most positive way of course. <3
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:11 am
View Likes
Shady says...

I'm in my second year of uni, majoring in Zoo and Wildlife Biology, minoring in Chemistry, and I'm totally not browsing the forums and answering this topic to procrastinate on my chem homework right now. ;)

This semester I'm in General Chemistry II, Organismal Biology II (basically zoology), Themes in Western Thought (philosophy), Bible Doctrines, Creative Writing, and Music Theory (because I decided to take piano lessons on a whim). Honestly, I think Bible Doctrines is my favorite class. It's systematically working through theological issues (the first was anthropology and the origin of man), showing the different views on each subject (both the views held by different Christian groups and secular viewpoints) and I'm finding it really fascinating.

I don't really have a lot of extracurricular activities, mostly because I work two jobs on campus (and because, heh, I'm a science major and studying dominates my life). One of my jobs is a monitor of the computer labs (pretty much I teach people how to use the equipment and make sure they don't vandalize anything); the other is at a serpentarium, where I get to play with snakes and lizards. I actually almost got bit tonight by a Giant Gecko, it was very exciting. ;)

I do lead a group that goes to a Juvenile Detention Center, though, and do small science "experiments" with the kids there. I also do Street Evangelism on the weekends; and volunteer for most community service projects that I hear about, as long as they aren't ridiculously early on Saturdays and don't conflict with my work schedules. I'm not sure if you'd count this as extracurricular or not, but I also am one of the leaders of a "Peer Mentoring" group that helps out General Biology students with understanding the concepts that they cover in that class.

So, yeah, I stay kinda busy-- but most of it's fun. xD

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:18 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

This is the...sixth year since I've started college and the fifth year I've actually been in college. I took last year off due to financial aid and other issues.

I'm in middle childhood education (grades 4-9), specializing in English language arts and sciences. This year is methods, so it's not exactly student teaching, but I'm working with fourth graders right now. Last semester, I had to teach two lessons, one in each subject area, and this semester I have to teach two three-to-five lesson units.

And then next year I student teach, which is a whole nother ballgame. They always tell us we shouldn't have jobs while student teaching, but I don't hear them offering to take over my bills, so...that's definitely not happening.

And it would also be a lot better and less stressful if they'd tell us the things we need to know, but they never do. Like this new required class was added last minute, and all the people in MIDD ELA are supposed to be in it, but instead there are only about ten of us, because no one ever sent out an email saying, "Hey, this requirement has been added to your degree." Plus the guidance counselors are still using the old sheet rather than the new sheet, so no one sees that a new class has been added. We kind of found out by accident because ONE person got a new sheet, saw the new class, and asked a professor about it, and then the professor went and dug around for information for us.

And then we all found out that we had to fill out applications to student teach next year, right? And the application was due this past Friday. When did we find out about it? TUESDAY. That's right, we found out about it three days before it was due, again by accident. One of the girls in my class found out from one of her friends, whose sister had gone through the program before.

I'm so afraid I'm going to get to graduation, and they'll be like, "Well, sorry, but you didn't do _______." Like something is going to slip by the Accidentally Finding Stuff Out Network, and I'll miss it.

Although the more immediate issue is that there's talking of changing the program more next year--the year I'm supposed to finally graduate!--and as we can see from the new class this year, my university does not grandfather people out of new requirements. That would mean letting us escape rather than staying another year and giving them more money.

Spoiler! :
UGH.

Thank goodness I love my program. I love the fourth graders, you know. Being in the classroom can be exhausting, but it can be a lot of fun, too. Standardized testing is useless and dull and expensive and awful, but you can really do fun stuff in the classroom if you basically pretend that standardized testing doesn't exist...

P.S. @ShadowVyper Zoology!!!!!!!! That was the plan when I was a little kid. I still love the subject, but I really love teaching. I got to have a zoology class, though.

If you don't know it's impossible it's easier to do. And because nobody's done it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that again, yet.
— Neil Gaiman