z

Young Writers Society

When you were little, did you expect to become a writer?

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:24 pm
r4p17 says...

Hahah! I could never imagine you as a nun, Therese!

Well, I guess I didn't totally expect to become a writer. I just know I loved books. I was an avid reader, but I didn't think a whole lot about writing them. When I was in fourth grade I wrote my first novella (if you could call it that). Ever since then I have written pretty regularly, though not every day like I do now.
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:07 pm
FullMetalDragon says...

I really wasn't interested in writing. When I was little I wanted to be a meteorologist (storm chaser) then I wanted to be an architect. Then, when I turned 14 (I think) I started writing. And now I'm back to meteorology but I still write.

Truth is I still have no idea what I want to be...
A lesson without pain is meaningless, for you can not gain something without sacrificing, something else in return, but once you have overcome it and made it your own... you will gain an irreplaceable Fullmetal heart.
By Edward Elric

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 pm
Satira says...

I don't think being a writer was completely out of the question for me when I was little, but it seemed to be too unattainable for me. And besides, I read so much i didn't have time to write!
most people when I was younger expected me to be an inventor or scientist, just like my grandfather. He invented this sponge without lint that people everywhere use for surgeries now. He's still working at 85.
But anyway, we have sort of a bond that I don't have with the rest of my extended family, and since I was curious and experimental and imaginative, everyone thought I would be the next him, including me.
Turns out, I like to create my own problems instead of solving existing ones. Actually, I'm a really suckish inventor, so it's better for me to work in a space where there aren't any laws of physics or chemistry or... math.
Also, I'm lonely, so creating characters worked really well for me when I was little. I've only just started to take being a writer seriously... It's only this year that I began to write virtually every day.
"if only, if only,"
the woodpecker sighed,
"the bark on the trees
were as soft as the skies."

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:36 pm
Evander says...

Erm, I'm technically still little, right? Never mind that. :P

When I was very small (I'm talking like, 3 through 6), I wanted to be a nurse. Helping others was my biggest priority. I knew what college I wanted to go to, how all my surgeries would go, what type of scrubs I would wear... Then my family discovered that I was squeamish around others' blood. Which was sort of a shock to everyone, because I was perfectly fine with my own blood.

Cue a few years where I was very worried about my future, and what I would do when I grew up? (I was an interesting child.)

Hm... I have been writing for quite a long time! (Five years or so now.) It hadn't really crossed my mind as a profession until I was about nine.

Don't laugh, don't laugh, don't laugh.

When I was writing fan fiction and posting it on a website, there was a secret hope hidden inside my heart that JK Rowling herself would read my writing-- together, we would write more stories about Harry Potter! You can see how that turned out.

I'm still not sure what I want to be when I'm older, but being a writer is a part of my plans. :P
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 am
View Likes
EscaSkye says...

Hmm... I don't think so? Back then in my early elementary years, I kept saying, "I want to be a baker!" which then turned to, "Okay... maybe a lawyer?" and all other kinds of cool professions, but I don't think I ever said, "I want to/will be a writer." though I kept writing short stories at that age.

I'm happy that I write again though. :P
Not anymore.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:06 pm
WritingWolf says...

No, not really. I have always loved stories. I mean I really loved stories. But the idea of writing stories didn't even occur to me until my sister started doing a little bit of writing. Then I was just writing, I didn't consider pursuing eventually trying to get something published until a year or so ago. Now I definitely want to be a writer forever. :) I just don't know if I want to go into novels, screenplays, or stage plays.

When I was little I was never really set on what I wanted to be. Anytime we listened to The Pineapple Story by Otto Konning I wanted to be a missionary. Outside of that I would go through different things revolving around animals. Sometimes I wanted to live on a farm, sometimes I wanted to be a guinea pig breeder, sometimes I wanted to just work at a pet shelter. I never wanted to be a vet, I wouldn't be able to stand putting animals down.
Yeah, it took me a while to find writing. :)
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:42 am
Sunshine1113 says...

I did, by age 5 I wrote my first "book" my grandma keeps telling me it was not publishing worthy but I totally thought it was I did often switch from artist to writer depending on what phase I was going through but I always had a knack for writing and I kinda stuck with it.
~Sun Goddess~

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:16 am
Willard says...

I still don't know if I want to be a writer, nor am I actually a writer.

I started getting into literature when I was in sixth grade, but then film came around, where I would watch about nine movies each week during the summer. The idea of getting out my opinions started flowing in my brain, so I decided to dabble in writing.

I sucked, but that's why this review system is running. To make writers better. Now, my works aren't half bad (aren't the best), and I am sticking with this for a while.

I don't know if I want to be a writer. I could be working in the brothels for all I know when I grow up. I still am young, but writing helps me go along. I still don't know if I want to be a writer.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:22 am
View Likes
Pompadour says...

When I was younger, I wanted to be either a bunny or a ballerina (or both), so no, not really.

(Wait. Does this mean I'm supposed to be a writer now?! :o )
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:53 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I wrote my first story when I was six. It was called "The Pilgrim Pig" and it was fully illustrated. I didn't want to be a writer, per se, but I suppose that's only because I considered myself one at the get-go.

@ThereseCricket, even if you still want to be a nun, I wouldn't laugh at you! That's pretty awesome!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:23 pm
Lightsong says...

When I was young, my love towards book was instant. I read all kind of books. I read the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star's lyric in the TV screen. When I was in primary school, I loved writing. I think this was when I expected myself to be a writer. I preferred writing fiction over non-fiction by a large margin. I wanted to bring justice to my native language. However, in secondary school, I realized I read English books more than Malay books. I loved English-written stories more than Malay-written stories simply because the former offered so much more in genres than the latter. Right now, I am torn between being a writer who writes stories in English language or being a realist who will take the profession he masters the most later on.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:22 pm
FaulknerCannes says...

Not really. When I was young, I remember loving movies more than books. If anything, I've never liked reading at all, and even now, I'm afraid things stayed largely the same.

That being said, I did want to be a scriptwriter/filmmaker a few years back when I started to wonder what occupation I should acquire in the future. But, you know, it became one of those impractical dreams, and that never bore fruit.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:54 pm
Minniax says...

Yes! I've been writing since I was old enough to read and write. I haven't written a while, but that is changing very soon.
Currently reading: The Dead Zone by Stephen King

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:32 am
ShakespeareWallah says...

Yes, as far as I can remember.

I used to be amazed at the author photo at the back of the book. These guys looked so cool!

Random avatar

Reviews: 139
Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:13 am
deleted21 says...

No. I wanted to be able to talk to Pooh and Candy.

Then, my grades started being bad xD

Then, I thought of trying to write!!! xD xD

The first draft is a trip to the amusement park. The next drafts are returning there as a safety inspector.
— SunsetTree