z

Young Writers Society

What inspired you to become a writer?

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:12 am
ChocolateLlama says...

The comedy-article website, Cracked.com, is what inspired me.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:57 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

I had no inspiration, I just liked making up stories, one day someone said

"You know what 3 year old kid, you should write this all down."

"I don't know how to read or write yet though."

"Oh right, 3 year old kid, make sure to make a note to start writing this all down when you know how to."

And that note looks like a spaghetti monster, so I have no idea what I was meant to write down. So I write a bunch of other things instead.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:14 am
Eldritch says...

Actually EVERYTHING. Though i will not call myself a complete- full time writer but, if I'm writing by getting inspiration from anything, i guess, it's Everything around me which always show me the way to grab a Pen. That's all.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:25 pm
View Likes
deleted5 says...

Zolen wrote:I had no inspiration, I just liked making up stories, one day someone said

"You know what 3 year old kid, you should write this all down."

"I don't know how to read or write yet though."

"Oh right, 3 year old kid, make sure to make a note to start writing this all down when you know how to."

And that note looks like a spaghetti monster, so I have no idea what I was meant to write down. So I write a bunch of other things instead.

A true inspiration to Americans everywhere.
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:34 pm
Sunshine1113 says...

I have no idea, it just happened one day. I sat down and wrote and I havent stopped.
~Sun Goddess~

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:25 pm
ThereseCricket says...

I honestly don't know.

I just know that when I was about 9 I started writing stuff down in a notebook, and then it just gradually grew from there. I think maybe when I was younger I liked seeing the words shaping into a story, and it just kept going, I suppose. :D
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:02 pm
TimmyJake says...

I think I began simply because everyone else in my family was writing, and I thought it was really neat to create something with your own words (of course, back then I had to draw all the machine guns to go with the story. xD). Four years later, I've come a long ways. And am going to go a long ways farther, I hope.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:27 pm
steampowered says...

I wrote a lot when I was younger because I liked stories and had a real love of words (although I seem to recall I used to spend more time drawing the illustrations than doing the actual writing...) Then I gave up for several years, and only really began writing again when I was about 10 (I started to get obsessed with TV shows, so my first real writing projects were fanfiction)

I'd probably have never gone any further than that had I not happened to meet somebody about my own age who was into writing in a big way, and was writing a novel at the time. She absolutely inspired me, and to this day we still read and critique each other's work. So that one chance comment she made about liking writing, when we were first getting to know each other, really changed my life. :)
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:15 pm
View Likes
Masquerade says...

I'm not sure what it was. Maybe my 3rd grade teacher who encouraged us to write stories. Maybe it was just all the books I read and loved that made me want to write. But probably it was some strange sort of madness.
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:57 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Dunno if 'inspired' is really the accurate word, but I certainly had a lightbulb moment related to writing. I'd always enjoyed doing creative writing at school, and adored reading, but in grade five, quite early on, we were given a prompt to write a story about - I don't remember it exactly, but I do remember that it was about someone going into n old (haunted?) house. Writing that story, I decided that writing was somethin I wanted to do as a career, because I was enjoying creating the story so much. Ever since then, I've written.
I had another moment like that more recently that resparked my love of writing. I attended an event where a motivational speaker gave a talk, and it kind of made stuff fall into place in my mind, and made me realise that writing is something I'm truly passionate about, and really want to do.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

Random avatar

Reviews: 94
Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:54 am
View Likes
JumpyDot says...

Well, I've always been a storyteller. My magnum opus was told when I was two and a half years old about my porcupine saving me from the dinosaur coming through the window. My dad has also been a big help for this from the beginning. He would often sit down and call my name and ask me to tell him a story and I would gleefully make one up on the spot. (Which has nothing to do with my name.) When I had just learned to read I picked up a book called Captain Underpants because...underpants, four year old, you can do 2+2 to figure that out. I was enamored by how it looked and felt and especially by the in-world comic book written and illustrated by kids. The next morning I woke and set to work on my first comic book, which I have since burnt and I kind of went from there. There it is.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:15 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

My entire life, from my earliest memory to today, my mom has been an active reader. I remember thinking it was hereditary, getting my love for books from my mom. So ever since I was, what?, seven, I've been a bookworm. In fact, my first email involved the word "bookworm" so yeah, you could say I really loved books, and still do.

Around the seventh grade, when I was.. 12? 11?, I had a then-friend introduce me to a site where she would read fanfics of her favorite fandoms. I did the same, signed up and read some awesome Twilight fanfics that I still remember. I even recall reading one about Renesmee that I didn't favorite, and I spent a good few hours the next day tracking it down. I found it, btw. It's still good.

After a while of reading, I discovered their forums, which is sort of like our Storybooks. A peek into one had me roleplaying. I couldn't tell you exactly when I wrote my first fanfic, but I remember the first fandom roleplay forum I joined. It was for Cirque Du Freak, an awesome series by Darren Shan. Good times, those days.

Welp, I continued to write awful fanfics (actually finishing a Twilight novel; my first ever completed novel! (I deleted it)) and partaking in both fandom roleplay and general forums. Then I made my own fandom roleplay forum for the Evermore series, by Alyson Noel. I dunno why, awful books. Regardless, it brought me my fabulous @Mickixoxo, who was totally active for a while, then disappeared. With a PM, I inquired about her disappearance, and she spoke of a youngwriterssociety that had me snorting at first, but joining the site after my beloved Twilight fandom roleplay forum was deleted by the cruel admin.

And well, here I am. I have hopefully improved on my writing, I think? If you saw my beginning posts there and my current works now.. I think we can all agree I've improved. xD

But uh, yeah, it was a lot of things that inspired me to become a writer. First it was reading, then it was a crazed fangirl sense that I needed to jump into my fandom worlds, then it was taking the world into my own hands and doing what I wanted, to finally creating original works for once?? I remember joining fictionpress.net, which was fanfiction's sister site for original works, and finding it a hell of a time to post an original work. x)

So it took a while, for me personally, but here I am and here I stay, because writing is <3 One of my best decisions, I think.

and after re-reading this, I wonder why am I constantly admitting embarrassing things on this bloody site is beyond me, you brats
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Reviews: 3
Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:17 pm
Dorsia says...

I grew up around books and reading. I liked writing stories when I was in school and wrote one or two things at home, but aside from that, I wasn't too into it.
What actually made me want to become a writer was my best friend on a boring day. We were running out of things to talk about and she suggested writing a horror story.
I ran out of ideas for that story after a while, so I wrote another one. It just went on from there, I guess.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:09 am
View Likes
Sunshine101 says...

My grandma. I'm a thinker, always been--always will be. And she encouraged me to put my creativity and thoughts to good use and that hopefully people can benefit from it. And I think they do.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:28 am
ChiravianSkies says...

I have no idea. Not at all. In grade six I was asked to write a story with a beginning, middle, and end. Blasphemy. Never. Nuh-uh. I would rather have to kiss a frog. So I wrote it, and it ended up being a half-page of size 72 font. Sad, I know.
Then, in grade seven, exactly one year later, I wrote Stoneslide as a horrifically awful short story, and it stuck to me. I liked it. My dad liked it. It was dark and scary... Mwahah. So then I shrugged it off and didn't look at it again.
One day on facebook though, just last September, my mother links me to Nanowrimo. I'm hooked. I immediately pull out Stoneslide and start re-writing into a novel. I haven't stopped writing since. Idk. It just happened. Somewhere between May 2014 and September 2014...

"Be happy, my friend; and if you obey me in this one request, remain satisfied that nothing on earth will have the power to interrupt my tranquility."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein