Young Writers Society

The YWS 2014 Best Winners!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:48 am
View Likes
Big Brother says...

Best Overall Member@TimmyJake

This came as a shock to no one -- since joining the site in November 2013, Timmy has proven himself to be a valuable member. A little over a year old, he's already gotten all five gold stars, plus all five blue stars, and is on his way to red stars; is a helpful and familiar face in the Welcome Mat; a powerhouse during the Review Days; a chatty sight to see in the chat room; and overall a kind person; a friend to many and a helpful member to all!

Funniest Member@Sachiko

If you hang out in chat, you're more than bound to catch Sachi drop by every once in a while. And when she's in chat, you'll know why she's won Funniest Member -- this girl is crazy hyper! Super eccentric, Sachi usually fills the chat with loads of laughs and positive vibes, spreading her cheerfullness to every person. She likes to talk in all caps, to reflect her excitement, and is usually bouncing all over the place, chatting up a storm, making people laugh, and is amusing to no end!

Most Helpful Member/Friendliest Member@ThereseCricket

If you hang around in the Welcome Mat, you'd recognize this face anywhere -- the familiar sight of Dory. Therese can usually be found posting in every single introduction thread made by new members, welcoming them to the site and always offering her assistance, should they need a review or a guide. Whatever you need, she's got you, and never has an unkind word or a lack of a smile in the process!

Spam Master (a.k.a. Most Overly Active Member)@r4p17

If you hang out in the Randomosity forum, you already know -- r4p17 is crazy quick when it comes to posting in the active threads! Not only that, but he's active in many parts of the site as well. Despite the fact that he only joined in June 2014, he already has over two thousand posts! A well-earned title, if you ask me.

Best Reviewer of Prose@TimmyJake

Prose isn't always easy to review since it's often lengthy and can include a wide variety of styles, but Timmy knows what to do. Usually with a kind word and a positive attitude, Timmy's reviews are often firm yet gentle, clearly outlining what he does and doesn't like about something without being too harsh. A good tactic with reviewing, and one he does so nicely!

Best Reviewers of Poetry@Lumi, @Audy, @SparkToFlame, and @Hannah

Four winners?! Well, it's no shock, considering how wonderful and amazing these four poets are. If you've ever seen a review of theirs, you know -- these four know all the ins and outs of poetry. By taking a look at any of their poems, you'll know. They know what they're doing when it comes to the skill that is poetry. But don't be fooled by their intimidating poems and their exquisite words -- they each have a gentle approach when it comes to reviewing. If you ever want some honest critique on your poetry, don't be afraid to approach any one of them!

Best Poets – @Widdershins, @Pompadour, and @PenguinAttack

Three winners?! You guys really loved your 2014 poets, didn't you? It's also not a shock that these three lovely ladies won. Have you seen their poems? Whether it's hiding in a writerfree pad to poetry jam with friends, sparking the home screen with their latest hits, or softly-written haikus tuckered away into journals that will never see the light of day, these three ladies are brilliant poets and it's always a pleasure to see one of their poems. As snowflakes, their styles are as different and unique as they are, but all the same enjoyable and a sight for eyes when one is feeling quite poetic!

Best Writer@Deanie

Winner of the "most likely to be J.K. Rowling" AND winner of this title? No doubt, you guys voted Deanie as the best writer of 2014! Not only is this girl a crazily-active reviewer, but her writing is simply off the wall amazing! You don't have to be following her Eyes Wide Shut novel to know that this girl is an avid writer -- and she's crazy good at it, too! If you need any more proof, just take a look in her portfolio and let us know what you decide.

Best Debater@Snoink

For the third year in a row, Snoink takes home our title of best debater! She presents her opinions with enthusiasm and grace, never allowing herself to be carried away in the heat of a moment, and always backing her posts up with clean, compelling facts. If you find yourself up against the great master, prepare to have your bacon fried. You go, Snoink!

Best Lyricist@niteowl

Now this definitely had to be of no shock to anyone. We ALL know how awesome niteowl's parodies on famous songs are! If you need any proof, just take a look here? Still unconvinced? Click on one of her latest creations, go listen to the original, get the beat in your head, and start belting the parody lyrics out!

Best Artists – @Draknghar, @Blackwood, and @Aley

What's that? This is a young writers site? Well, not according to these three! They've got a talent that they refuse to hide, and can you really blame then? Have you SEEN their artwork? If not, just go into the Art and Photography forum and look around -- you'll see what I mean. YWS is crazy full of amazing and talented writers who aren't always glued to a piece of paper and a pen (or, alternately, a quill and a roll of parchment). Despite all the talented artists, you guys chose these three for your best artists of 2014, and rightfully so! All three are unique in their own creative way, and we love seeing what their minds have cooked up every time.

Best Scriptwriter – @Elinor%20Brynn

This was no shock. Recently entering a new chapter in her life by attending university as a film major, we all saw this coming. From working alongside Jamie's Coin's scriptwriter @Osterkaktus to radio shows to various projects, both on YWS and off, Elinor is major talented when it comes to scriptwriting. Don't believe me? Just stick around for a while. She's always coming up with amazing ideas. I hear she even wrote a script for a short film that was professionally produced...

Best Storybooker – @AriaAdams

Twice in a row... and who was surprised? Our Storybook Princess is just who you want on your side when you're battling the forces of darkness, or even the forces of good! She knows how to put together a compelling character and is an expert at moving the plot along smoothly and keeping everyone entertained. There's nobody whose posts we like to read better than Aria's!

Best Moderator@Iggy

Despite the way it looks, moderating YWS isn't always an easy job but one mod who always steps up to the plate is Iggy. Often the first to volunteer, no job is too big or too small for this girl and she goes about her tasks with a positive and fun attitude that rubs off on everyone around her. It's no wonder the people have chosen Iggy as the mod of 2014 - she's kind spirited, down to Earth and always there when anyone needs a helping hand.

So let's storm her wall with requests our congratulations or send her a gift to bribe her thank her for all her work - past, present and future.

Best StoryRomeo & Juliet: Instant Messaging Edition by @Celdover, Wordsmithing: The Essence of a Writer by @dragonfphoenix, Empathy by @asadderandawiserman, and Leopard Girl by @Wolfare1

So many good stories.. how is it possible to pick just one? It isn't, it seems! You guys wanted diversity, so here you go -- a variety of stories to sink your teeth into!

Best PoemsStatue of a Young Woman by @jessiethought, i lost you to the war by @Lumi, Years Fall Like Foes by @Widdershins, Mellowing a Mare by @Moo, twenty fourteen syllables: a history in fragments and maybe God will turn us into galaxies in heaven, both by @Pompadour, and In rememberance of my old friend by @Cynder

Much like the above, you guys wanted diversity for your poetry, so here you go! Take your pick, take your pick...

Best NovelsCat Steps by @Rosey%20Unicorn and The Book Man by @BlueAfrica

If you haven't read either of these novels yet, sit back for a spell and get started! Both are amazing novels that have been through rough drafts, late nights, early mornings, seen multiple revisions of scenes and chapters and have been nitpicked apart to their very core, but have emerged stronger and better and ultimately more amazing.

Best StorybooksHigh Fantasy by TakeThatYouFiend, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry by @Mackattack, A YWS Christmas Carol and Location Unknown: Mission Failed, both by @Lumi, The Harbingers of Revolution [Closed/Started] by @Omni, and The Wilderness of Machafuko(Chaos) by @TheWanderingWizard

Diversity at its finest! If you're in the mood for a storybook, just give either of these a click and look away. They all look great, actually...

Best Off-Topic TopicPost Your Pet's Pic by @AriaAdams and Last Person to Post here Wins [7] by @r4p17

Two swell topics to pick from! Do you want to post a photo of your beloved pet, or do you want to be the last person to post in a topic before it reaches 100 pages? Decisions, decisions... or better yet, post in both!

Best Blog@Snoink

For the second time in a row! Before, she used to update us about her recent marriage, her new life as a married woman and the beginnings of her pregancy. Now she's updating us with all there is to know about her successful one year anniversary, her adventures in the world, and what was that last thing...? Oh yes, her most prized possession, her daughter! She always has a good story to tell, and is frequently lending an ear in other blogs, so it's no wonder she won the title second year in a row.

Best Avatar@niteowl

If you know niteowl, then you definitely know her famous avatar.. what is it, exactly? And where is it from? We aren't sure. Perhaps you should ask her. But regardless of the facts, you have to admit -- it is the most amusing thing ever! She's well-known for switching it to the team's mascot during Review Days and then going back, every month or so, always reminding us of the awesomeness that is her avatar, and how much we love to just stop and stare at it. C'mon, admit it, you know you've done it at least once in your life!

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:32 am
View Likes
Moo says...

Wow, I'm stunned!

Thank you so much for anyone who voted for my poem. I've been having a tough week and this was just the little pick me up I needed!

Congrats to everyone else on their awards. Proud of YWS and all the members!

-M
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:37 am
Transporter23 says...

Where is my award for being the best member and best reviewer of all times?

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:31 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket says...

Congrats everybody!
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:35 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

Big Brother wrote:Best Overall Member@TimmyJake

This came as a shock to no one...

This made my day. Logging onto YWS, I didn't expect this at all, and popping in here, there it was. I think my heart skipped. Thank you, YWS. <3 And I have always been nervous about my prose reviewing capabilities, so this was a boost of confidence for me.

Congratulations to everyone! <3
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:14 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

Congratulations, everyone!
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:04 pm
View Likes
Sachiko says...

Thank you friends ;)
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:43 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Congratulations all - some very well deserved awards!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:55 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Thank you so much! I'm amazed how much attention my novel has gotten around here.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:57 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Oh gosh guys I'm flattered. :D

It's definitely inspiration for me to write more (than I have been)!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:10 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Thanks to whoever voted me for Best Lyricist and Best Avatar! It really means a lot.

Also to @Iggy (probably), thanks for reminding me I seriously need to reorganize my portfolio. My lyrics are in like three different folders...
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:53 am
View Likes
Masquerade says...

Congrats everyone!
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:02 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Congratulations to all!

And, thanks to @Aley and her Camp YWS cabin this summer everyone who earned a YWS Best Award this year should have a shiny new badge/trophy to go along with it! (If you don't have a badge, or don't have the *right* badge, for an award you won this year please let me know via PM!).
Got YWS?

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:21 pm
View Likes
asadderandawiserman says...

Wow, it was a surprise to get the email saying I was in one of these, since I haven't been on the site in a good few months. I've been super busy with uni, which I started just recently, and it slipped away from me. I still think this place is fantastic for improvements at writing, and God knows I need them, so I'll try to be around here a little, when I can. I have one massive writing project I've been working on, but another shorter thing, more along the lines of Empathy, has been floating in my head.

Thanks so much everyone. If anyone noticed, I'm sorry for dropping out of here so suddenly, and I hope all your lives have been and continue to be wonderful.

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind