z

Young Writers Society

2015 Reading Challenge

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:04 am
View Likes
Deanie says...

@Dreamy, but did you read some epic books? Because if you did, then I don't think this was a failure at all! More like a success ;)
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:11 pm
View Likes
manisha says...

Omg, I love the new list! We should definitely do it next year. I have two rather difficult books to get through. But I can't wait to start on the next year's!
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:18 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Dreamy wrote:Okay, I didn't want to comment on this because I thought I would come across as a not-so-cool- person. But no, I need to make a statement here just because!

Now, I'm not one of those people who gushes over Grey and day-dream about him, and I'm also not one of those people who reads the book just to let the gushers know how wrong they are and how they need to see a doctor ASAP! Of course, it's a public commodity; some like them and some don't! But, we as avid readers have a responsibility! I'm not sure what that responsibility is; but I'm sure it's definitely not saying, "oh, that book sucked!" "i wish i could burn the writer" We need to be more coherent, analysing and debating(able). Maybe it's just me; I just don't build up such hatred towards books. >_>

On with Heathcliff, hm, such comparison and much wow! So, here’s something I told Deanie a couple of months ago. C:

Well, it's sadistic for one; how often do we come across a character who is hated universally, while he- Heathcliff is the actual victim. He was robbed of his love, he was the one who was teased and mocked at because he didn't know his last name. Though, he seems like the cold-hearted villan, a revenge seeker, one should not forget the fact that he was driven crazy by the only woman he ever loved- Catherine. Though she married her friend to help Heathcliff, her motivation was not revealed until later- a few minutes before her death. He was tormented, he was weak, and he grew sick of everyone around him. He wanted revenge. Though, he got what he wanted, never did he once feel proud or happy until his last few days where he said he has seen Catherin again, according to Mrs. Dean

Basically, he's a romantic. I'm sure Romeo would have been no less than Heathcliff, if he hadn't died.

Oh. There’s more:

…her(Emily Bronte) stories are always reminiscent; you never get to experience the story in first hand, it's always someone else narrating what they thought they saw or heard. It's Emily's technique, where the characters get developed and destroyed by the people around them. They get lost in translation— more like, they get lost in their own story, which is why I would love to have a rendition of this novel with Heathcliff's POV. :3

Stories are all about the readers' perspective. :mrgreen:

That's the thing. I am reading is SO I can debate.

First of all, Grey is not Heathcliff. Second of all, while I sympathize with Heathcliff (for much the same reasons I sympathize with Frankenstein's monster), I still hold him accountable for his actions. Many people have had true love snatched from them by circumstance or death, but most people don't react the way he did. There are plenty of stories of people who come from horrible circumstances and manage to at least maintain compassion, even if they don't manage to turn their lives around.

Okay, longer part now.

Spoiler! :
The problem is, Grey's abuse of women is supposed to be okay because of his Freudian excuse that his mom was a crack-whore. He makes Ana feel sorry for him because he was unloved as a child and knows what it's like to starve.

But considering he was adopted by a kind and incredibly wealthy family when he was FOUR, which by the way is only two years after long-term memory develops, and I realize that doesn't mean he couldn't have been traumatized

It's also supposed to be okay because they consent by signing a document. But there are several problems with that so far.

1. The document is legally unenforceable, which Ana only found out by doing research--Grey didn't tell her and changed the subject abruptly when she asked if he had intended to.
2. Grey keeps claiming Ana can just walk away if she decides this isn't for her, but she clearly can't, since every single time she's thinking of doing so, he seduces her or tells her how much he wants her or stalks her to declare his undying desire.
3. Grey keeps saying he'll respect her hard and soft limits, and they won't do anything she's uncomfortable with, but then when they're discussing the limits, he says they're going to work her up to doing everything. He doesn't intend to respect her limits. He intends to start out with her limits in place so he can "train" her and build her up to doing the things he's into, even if those are things she considers "hard limits."
4. He uses sex as a weapon. See again point 2. Ana: "I'm really not sure about this." Grey: *seduces her* Ana: "Wow, that was mindblowing. Obviously this is a good idea."

Plus, have you actually read the list? Because he literally wanted to control what she wore, what she ate, how often she worked out and for how long. Not to mention the fact that--this isn't even on the list, so she hasn't agreed to it--he is insanely jealous and tries to control whether and how much she hangs out with other men.

Not only that, but there are moments when Ana says "no" to sex things and he goes on with them anyway. (In one memorable moment, he threatened to gag her and bind her feet--her wrists were already bound--if she didn't shut up and let him do his thing.) In this case, the thing that's supposed to make it okay is that Ana ends up with an orgasm, so "wow, I really enjoyed it, I'm glad you kept going, that is the best sex I've ever had." But that is rape, my friends. That is like the senator who said that if rape is inevitable, you should just lie back and enjoy it.

That is not okay.

I could go on, but the point is: this book romanticizes a relationship that is full of abuse, the weaponization of sex, control--not just in a sex way but in an all-areas-of-life way--jealousy, and sexual assault/abuse. It's teaching girls and women that that's fine as long as you really really love him or he really really wants you/loves you/can't help it or he's wealthy and attractive and good at sex.

Plus, for someone who claims she's never really been a drinker, Ana is clearly an alcoholic. At this point in the book, she has at least one drink in about every other scene, and usually it's many drinks, usually because Grey is offering her more and more as they discuss things that should best be discussed sober (like the agreement).

Rant over, for the time being. Just writing this made me so shaky and angry because this book is so horrible.

I really, really wish just the writing was horrible. I would already be through the book, because I would've enjoyed laughing at it. But no.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:50 am
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

GUYSGUYSGUYS I FINISHED IT

I NEED A MEDAL OR SOMETHING
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

189 Reviews

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:51 am
View Likes
manisha says...

@Pretzelstick thank you so much for the list!

I created the thread for 2016!
2016 Reading Challenge
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

189 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:11 pm
View Likes
manisha says...

Done!! Also, what a book to end with.
How are you all doing??

Merry Christmas!!

1634 Reviews

Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:30 am
View Likes
Deanie says...

200 more pages for me to finish this! I'm reading I am Malala and then I will be complete ;)

Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:37 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

@manisha which book was it?

@Deanie c'monc'monc'mon! c:
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

1634 Reviews

Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:30 pm
Deanie says...

@manisha CONGRATS on finishing as well! Quite a feat ;)

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:36 am
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

I am Malala was an amazing boon for me at least @Deaniw. She is such an inspirational person!<3 we should definitively discuss it after your done @Deanie!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

189 Reviews

Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:08 am
View Likes
manisha says...

@Dreamy Satanic Verses :D Though I probably shouldn't talk about it (if you know what I mean).

@Deanie 200. You're going to do it! I think I'll read I am Malala for the next year's challenge. How is it so far??

1634 Reviews

Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:00 am
View Likes
Deanie says...

I'm going to be honest with this @Pretzelstick and @manisha, I left this book to last because I just can't read biographies and autobiographies. I know the writing style isn't for me and that is putting me off BUT the book is so inspirational and seriously, this girl risked an awful lot every day. I'm learning so much and that makes the entire thing worth it.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:23 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

Oh, @manisha I was planning it for this challenge but y'know; I never got the chance to even come around it. But, I'm totes going first for it the next challenge. c:
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

1634 Reviews

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:01 pm
View Likes
Deanie says...

I'M DONE!

2016 reading challenge, here I come ;)

189 Reviews

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:20 pm
manisha says...

@Deanie Yes!Congratulations!

@Dreamy you really should! If I could suggest something, read it along with a guide or some prior reading on the references he makes. I'm planning to read it again with a guide :D

You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken