Young Writers Society

This site tells you how long it'll take to read a book

25 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 25
Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:11 am
View Likes
Gringoamericano says...

Have you ever wanted to try reading a novel, but found yourself a bit put off by how long it'll probably take to read it all?

This site aims to change that. By taking an estimate of how many words you read per minute, this site gives you a rough guess on how long it'll take you to read a book (give or take an hour or two).

While the site does have its problems (the WPM test, for example, uses blurbs about the book instead of a standardized paragraph), I could see it becoming a very useful tool next time you can't decide which book to pick up.

Give it a try.
"Can't break an omelette without making a few eggs"

From the ashes of the old YWS Chat; it's the Unofficial YWS Discord server. Come join us!: https://discordapp.com/invite/UhSr7uW

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:16 am
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

I'm a fast reader....but how quickly I read something is related to how interested and engrossed in it I am. I have a fairly low threshold and can become engrossed by the writing on a cereal box.

So I always expect (from experience) that I'll be done by morning.

When I like a book, I finish it in the same sitting, and woe upon those who attempt to disturb!

Still, this site looks neat!
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

25 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:33 am
View Likes
Gringoamericano says...

@RachelElg

Sure, if you're picking a short-ish book it shouldn't be too hard to finish it off in a day or two.

But let's say you pick up a copy of War and Peace

Or Infinite Jest

and you're very scared by how long it is. This site will tell you how long it'll probably take you to finish it all if you read it in one sitting, and makes it seem shorter than you thought it would be.

From the ashes of the old YWS Chat; it's the Unofficial YWS Discord server. Come join us!: https://discordapp.com/invite/UhSr7uW

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:02 am
Dreamy says...

That's an interesting site.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

Reviews: 3
Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:24 pm
Dorsia says...

That's really cool. Ages ago, a friend of mine gave me a book to read for a week and I was trying to work out how much I'd have to read per day to get it back on time. This would've been really helpful then!

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:39 pm
ThereseCricket says...

That does look like an awesome site. ^^ Thanks for sharing it with us! :D
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:40 pm
Masquerade says...

That's so cool! I wish it didn't use the blurbs, though, and instead used like the first paragraph or something.
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

25 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:04 pm
Gringoamericano says...

@Masquerade

Yeah, that's my big problem with the site too.

What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu