Young Writers Society

Which book made you feel the most?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:14 am
SARAHJO says...

A Walk to Remember

:'(
-"Lets be real here. Unicorns don't exist.
-"Then you must not either."

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:40 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Friday Brown by Vikki Wakefield. I haven't been able to reread it, even though it's a brilliant book, because of a Certain Event that happened. I didn't cry, but it was so maddening, and made me hate certain characters because what they did was so senseless and awful and heartless. I was very close to chucking the book against the wall. I tried rereading it, but got to a stage where I couldn't continue reading because I knew what was coming and didn't want to go through that pain again.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:56 pm
FullMetalDragon says...

Well, that's a hard question for I have read many books. But, I have to say I read the manga version of Cirque Du Freak and I balled my eyes out.

It was a very emotional book(s).
A lesson without pain is meaningless, for you can not gain something without sacrificing, something else in return, but once you have overcome it and made it your own... you will gain an irreplaceable Fullmetal heart.
By Edward Elric

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:30 pm
RacheDrache says...

I can't just pick one. Three come to mind when I think of complete and other soul-scraping raw emotional devastation.

The Child Thief, by Brom, where I masochistically read these maddeningly beautiful, horrifying passages over and over again and died in a Feels-avalanche.

The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien, which I read in one sitting. It's not told linearly and it's a novel in some way composed of short stories and vignettes. There's a repeating little moment of time that comes up again and again, and each time we get more detail and we have more context. By the final time it appears, you are a Feelspuddle on the floor of the universe being mopped about by the written word.

The Darkest Road, by Guy Gavriel Kay, in which a character dies the most heroic, epic, awe-inspiring, brave, honorable death ever and the description of it is just grand and the reactions of the other characters (all of whom are watching) are killing you. And then as if that weren't bad enough, there comes a reaction by a character you'd never expect that is somehow more heroic and more epic and more awesome and brave and honorable and you're bawling so hard your tears have tears and you have to put the book down because you can't see and your heart is shaking.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:54 pm
Evander says...

I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower last night and honestly, it was amazing. Every letter or so I had to get up to cry, laugh, or I just stared at myself in the mirror to see what emotion I felt. The characters are wonderful, even though I sometimes wanted to throw the book at the wall. I stayed up until 1:20AM, and the novel was good enough that I don't regret it at all.

The Speed of the Dark just made me mad and sad. It's been a few years since I've read it though, so I might re-read it and get back to this.

The Fault in Our Stars is a good novel if you just want to lie down, cry, and think about your existence.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:44 am
CuriosityCat says...

I only have one book I want to mention here: The One And Only Ivan.

That book made me cry, laugh, shout, seethe, and want to jump off a cliff, sometimes ll at the same time. It's the beautiful and hilarious story of a captive gorilla named Ivan and his friends, a stray mutt and a broken-hearted elephant. In this story characters die and characters are created. They give up hope and find hope; forget and remember; are abused and are loved; find despair and find freedom. Eventually, through much suffering (and a bit of paint-eating), they find their own wonderful but tear-jerkingly bittersweet happy ending. No book has ever made me feel so many emotions at once.
Nothing to see here, puny mortals. Move along.

"I’m always going to embarrass myself and I’m pretty comfortable with that now."
— Misha Collins

Reviews: 1
Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:08 pm
AredhelIrisse says...

Return of the King--all three do, of course, but the end of Return of the King, well, I think I die of sorrow every time.
And then there's Ranger's Apprentice. Those give me the feels. Totally.

"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom Pérignon