z

Young Writers Society

Fantasy Books that Should be Turned into TV Shows

Which of the four series mention do you think would make the best show?

The Wheel of Time.
25%
The Kingkiller Chronicle.
50%
The Stormlight Archive.
25%
Codex Alera.
No votes
I think that Shannara should have it's chance on the field for now.
No votes

Total votes : 8

Random avatar

Reviews: 94
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:08 pm
JumpyDot says...

So, in case you haven't noticed, Game of Thrones is popular. Really popular. Now I consider that a good thing as George RR Martin is an amazing author -if a bit racy- and deserves the widest possible audience for his work. However, due to this success networks are looking for their Game of Thrones.
Now, the prophecy's are starting to come true. Terry Brooks has recently announced on his website that MTV has Shannara.
( http://terrybrooks.net/2014/07/mtv-offi ... ra-series/ )
Now there is two things that can come of this:
1.) Shannara is Terrible -Capital T intentional- and the Game of Thrones continues to stand unchallenged.
2.) Shannara is awesome, and then the flood of these book-to-screen shows start.
If number 2 happens then here are some books that I think deserve shows:
- The Wheel of Time: The wheel of time is an amazing series, and a long one. If a show for the wheel of time is made it will hold a good contrast from the other shows, but it will be familiar enough to the tropes we know and love to get a thumbs up from an audience.

- The Kingkiller Chronicle: Fox already has this option, and from what I understand it's at standstill, however I think this show would be a megahit. A reason for this is because Kingkiller is it's own thing. Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time have huge scopes, but Kingkiller has a rather simple scope, but it is as good -if not better- than both those series because of that.

- The Stormlight Archive: As far as I know no-one has made a move on this epic yet. It's still early in it's life, but I think it would make a good show, it holds the same scope as Wheel of Time, Shannara, and Song of Ice and Fire but it stands largely on it's own, without the need of some of the tactics they use.

Lastly:
- Codex Alera: This series is already finished, and is one of the finest pieces of fantasy out there. Although Butcher already got a flop-of-a-show for his Dresden files, I think that Codex Alera would fair better.

So there you go.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:44 pm
Rook says...

I dunno man. I'd love to see the Kingkiller Chronicles turned into a tv show done right... but I don't think they'll do it right.
I just don't think it would make a good tv show, to be honest.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:56 pm
Mea says...

I'd really love to see the Stormlight Archive done, but I doubt they could do it justice. It would be so cool, though...

Maybe they should turn Mistborn into a movie.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:55 pm
kingofeli says...

The Warrior Cats series, definitely. I think they'd make a good long TV series.
Feel free to just randomly message me, I get bored easily.

I'm a black, non-binary transgender boy, who is a Christian witch (tentative for now). I'm also a panromantic asexual. I sell poetry; contact me if you're interested in buying poems from me.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:46 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

Actually, I think that would work really well...
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

Random avatar

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:53 am
JumpyDot says...

@Meandbooks
Well, Stormlight could be done, but it would be extremely expensive and risky, as the show would be taking place on a planet that has very little in common with earth. I think some Graphic Novels for that series would be cool. As for Mistborn, I feel comfortable with it coming out as a game. It seems like that is it's best market, and I will be buying it when it comes out. But a movie would be difficult without Brandon being a huge part of the production. Allomancy is just too intricate visually to be pulled off without him.
@fortis
Kingkiller could be done, but it would be a very intricate TV series. (There's a blog post on tumblr about this, but I'm to lazy to link it.) The story within story's within story's structure could be REALLY hard to pull off. But I think that if it was done right it would go down as a classic.
@kingofeli
I really hope nothing about Warriors happens. After Guardians of Gahoole I just don't want anymore of those types of movies/tv shows. It hurts me, as those are what got me into reading...

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:56 am
View Likes
birk says...

The Wheel of Time! Yus!
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

Random avatar

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:04 am
JumpyDot says...

@Birkhoff
I'm still a bit concerned about this whole 'movie' business. Wheel of Time could never work as a movie. It's too complex. There's 5,000,000 words of NOTES for gosh sake. It's just not something that I think can happen.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 pm
Spotswood says...

Not really high fantasy, but Star Wars needs to expand its universe even more than it already has, especially from a cinematic perspective. I'd like to see multiple SW TV shows intended for a variety of audiences and genres: Action, Kids (already have that), Comedy, Political intrigue, adaptations of previously written books (TV specials). I would LOVE to see them go to Netflix or something, in order to make them a bit darker as opposed to ABC. Some could go to ABC, but the more lighthearted once maybe. A SW sitcom about a crew of a Starship or even about a stormtrooper unit would be hysterical. The great thing about Star Wars is that there are limited possibilities.

As for High fantasy, definitely dragon age. It is a very original world rich in lore, with many locations and stuff. I thought it'd be a tolkien knock off, plus it seemed to steal a lot from GRRM, but it is pretty original, especially the concepts behind how the mages are viewed in the world, as well as the different groups.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:07 pm
View Likes
Terian805 says...

As much as I love 'The Stormlight Archive' I think it's too wild and fantastical fantasy for it to be adapted to the screen. Chasmfiends, Surgebinding, Shardplate, Spren, etc. would just not look right in my opinion.

The Kingkiller chronicle would probably be better. Its on a more mundane scope, and more of a simple magic system, and the world building is fantastic.

I haven't read the Wheel of Time, but I probably should try it. :)
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:28 pm
View Likes
ClackFlip says...

This isn't on the list but...
Mistborn.
Simple reason: Steel Inquisitors. 'Nuff said.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.
And like ash in the wind, he was gone.
The man who lived.
The myth long forgotten.
The legend that lives on.
*poof*

He began to wonder why he had felt uneasy at all. It was like a man wondering in broad daylight why a dream had appeared so terrible to him at night.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart