Young Writers Society

Halloween!

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:19 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Let's talk Halloween, people. I know some of you don't celebrate it, but for those of you who do, do you plan on changing your avatars this month?

Who else is dressing up? (yes, I'm 18 and I'm still gonna dress up. :P)

What are your plans? What's your favorite candy? Favorite movie?

TALK. :mrgreen:
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:16 am
Spotswood says...

I am dressing up as a Sith marauder, and I too am eighteen. It'll be sick. I am going to have black robes, dual light sabers and wear black leggings (AK a skirt). I may post pictures.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:18 am
Willard says...

I am doing a 31 Days of Halloween movie marathon, where I watch 31 horror movies in 31 straight days. It's going to destroy me as a human being.

As for Halloween itself, Nevada Day falls on it. Nevada Day is a huge celebration here, having a parade and all (also no school). Due to drunk drivers and celebration, they will actually set trick or treating the night before.

I'll probably wear a unicorn mask or something like that and trick or treat.

As for the final day, I'm spending time with relatives who live out of state.

Fun :D

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:41 pm
Cithara says...

hmm, I might change my avvie to Talking Tina from Twilight Zone. Maybe some of you didn't think that was scary, but I was freaked out by it. *hates dolls to begin with*
I don't think I'll be dressing up, but you can bet I'm gonna buy candy and eat it :P
Pax in Christo

"My heart is racing even as I write,
but I plan to go on as bravely as a heroine in a
novel."~The Hired Girl

I used to be Thewriter13

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:53 pm
Sins says...

I want to dress as a shower or a lampshade or something.

No plans at the moment because 80% of my friends are at university, the foolish muggles. My favourite candy is Galaxy chocolate, hands down (which no one outside the UK has probably heard of, but just pretend you know what I'm talking about). And I couldn't pick a favourite movie if my life depended on it!

I hope I do end up doing something because Halloween is, like, my most favourite holiday ever. If not, I'll just sit alone in my house wearing my shower outfit.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:40 pm
Lava says...

@Skins - omg Galaxy!They're so smooth and silky and delishhhhh! :D

Costume ideas - bouncing Cosima (from Orphan Black) as an option.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:15 pm
Lefty says...

Psh... Eighteen isn't too old to dress up. I'm eighteen and I'm wearing my own super hero costume! I really have absolutely no plans at the moment, I'll probably just hand out candy. I'm not really into horror movies and if you take those out there isn't a whole lot left for halloween, but the classic I've watch pretty much every Halloween is Hocus Pocus. It's a really good movie! As for candy.... Probably Kit Kats when it comes to the halloween variety. Twix, Milkyway and Three Musketeers are pretty good too.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:06 pm
Rook says...

I still need to figure out what costume I'm going to wear.
My avvie has decided to be a squid.
Chocolate candy is always the best.

I'm really excited!

Ooh and our church does this "trunk or treat" thing, that's just like trick or treating, but in the trunks of everyone at the church's car. We're dressing up our minivan this year as a haunted closet with scary monster hands reaching out to give the candy. Those hands will be worked by yours truly. ;)
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:28 am
ScarlettFire says...

I don't know about dressing up, but I'm gonna have a supply of sugary stuff on standby. Y'know. Just incase I get any visitors.

(I really enjoyed dressing up as a kid. Darn you, Australia, for lacking in the Halloween-ness of things. I mean, c'mon. Plenty of decorations and candy! I guess we'll see how it goes for trick-or-treaters. XD)
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:55 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

I find it very interesting to read about different people's habits from around the world.
We're a bit odd when it comes to Halloween. It wasn't a thing here at all up until some years ago, so it's not very widely seen as the day to dress up and go trick or treat. When I was a child, we had that in February, and it would always fall on a Tuesday (although kids would go from door to door on other days too). Some kids still practice that, and for most older people that's the only time they accept masked kids asking for candy. Halloween is sort of reserved for older kids/young adults, and it's mostly about going to one of the clubs that organise masked parties. Some kids still go around for trick or treat, though, so I'm pretty sure there will be some coming to our door. The lack of imagination in both the choices of masks and the ways they're made is making me not look forward to it one bit.

I don't really know if other families around are decorating their homes and getting dressed up even if they aren't going anywhere - they sell all kinds of decorations, but it's not advertised nearly as much as Christmas ones, and my family isn't much of a celebrating kind anyway. I went out two or three times for halloween to one of those parties I mentioned, even, and wasn't impressed.

Anyway, this year we might celebrate it, if I convince my mum to make it a sort of private party with some mutual friends (mostly people who work on the movie I'm drawing for, maybe) and maybe with some kind of theme. If we do, I certainly will actually dress up and make decorations and something with pumpkins because they're pretty cool.
But then again, we might not do it at all xD
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 am
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

We've never been particularly big on Halloween, but we love dressing up and giving things. So for a long time me and my sisters would stay home and hand out candy (sometimes dressing up). But we started having some friends asking us to go trick or treating with them, so a few years ago we started trick or treating. So now we go trick or treating, just normally not in our own neighborhood (sometimes we have friends come over for halloween, but normally we're the ones doing the going over).

This year I am dressing up as Flo the Progressive girl. I haven't desided about my avvie yet... maybe I'll do a wolf dressed as a sheep? I'm still not sure. :)
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:45 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

My favorite Halloween movie is the old Disney Hocus Pocus. It's just grrrrreat.

I haven't dressed up since I was ten or so :[ I used to be a vampire every year. :K
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:51 am
rhiasofia says...

Skins wrote:I want to dress as a shower or a lampshade or something.

No plans at the moment because 80% of my friends are at university, the foolish muggles. My favourite candy is Galaxy chocolate, hands down (which no one outside the UK has probably heard of, but just pretend you know what I'm talking about). And I couldn't pick a favourite movie if my life depended on it!

I hope I do end up doing something because Halloween is, like, my most favourite holiday ever. If not, I'll just sit alone in my house wearing my shower outfit.

American here to say that not only have I heard of Galxay chocolate, but I also love it. And I have never left the states. It's actually pretty easy to find in my city.
Your head is a living forest full of song birds
~E. E. Cummings

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang