z

Young Writers Society

Must have back to school iPad apps

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:36 pm
Sunshine1113 says...

I currently go to a school that uses iPads in place of paper, textbooks, and as an interactive educational tool. This will be my 3rd year using an iPad and over the years I have used many apps in school. These are my top apps that are literally lifesavers and are great to have.

These aren't in any particular order, just in the order I can think of them.

1) Notability
Price: paid app (although it does go on sale for free once in awhile)
This amazing note taking app lets you handwrite, type, draw, and dictate notes. It has a hand rest feature that lets you rest your hands on the iPad, without interfering with typing or drawing notes. I highly recommend this app to anyone who wants to take notes on the iPad.

2) Evernote
Price: free
I personally don't use Evernote, but I have many friends who do. It works similar to notability. The only thing is you can't draw or handwrite notes. It has a couple of nifty features such as setting reminders and a photo search feature. The photo search allows you to upload photos to your notes and a special software scans the picture for words. You can search the pictures text. Many of my friends use this feature to take pictures of their notes from notebooks and use Evernote to make the pictures searchable. (And written notes digital without retyping them)

3) myHomework
This is a good app to keep track of homework assignments. It even has a feature where the teacher can "push" homework assignments, announcements, and reminders to the app. It keeps track of late assignments and reminds you to do them. It organizes you assignments, and keeps track of completed assignments. It also keeps track of your class schedule and reminds you when your class is. Note: if you have a 7 day cycle 6 mods a day schedule the schedule feature is of no use to you.

4) DocAS lite
This is a great app that let's you graph things and take notes. It also turns things into PDF files and let's you keep PDF files on the app. It's great in math classes and science classes. It's a little weird and tricky to use. I don't use this very often so I can't really say much more about it.

5) Quizlet
This is a great flash card app. It allows you to search for pre-made flash cards (which is a real timesaver if you don't have the time to make flash cards) or you can make your own flash cards. It also has games to help you study (which are fun). And all of your flash cards are available on the computer as well by going to their website. The website also has more games and searchable flash cards.

6) cloudon
If you have a google drive, drop box, and/or onedrive (formerly Skydrive), this app is perfect for you. It allows you to edit, view, and send your power points, documents, and spread sheets from all of your accounts. It is Microsoft word compatible. It's a little bit glitchy and has a couple of bugs, but it's great for making and viewing Microsoft word and power points from your iPad. And the best part: it's all free. Note: it only works where you have wifi or some sort of internet connection.

7) khan academy
This is the iPad version of the tutoring website, khan academy. It is basically the same as the website but it is in a mobile tablet format. Videos aren't available offline, but you can download them to the iPad for free. It doesn't have the practice problems like the website does but it is rumored to be added soon.

8 ) Kindle for iPad
Price: free (but the books aren't all free)
This app allows you to read kindle books you bought on Amazon. Just sync them to your iPad though the cloud. All downloaded books are available online and offline.

9) Apple apps: Pages, Keynote, iTunes U, and iBooks
Price: free to paid

Pages and keynote are apples version of word and PowerPoint. They are ok for what they are meant to do but aren't compatible with Microsoft and are prone to being glitchy.

iTunes U is a great app to have. You can learn just about anything for free. You can take a math class from Harvard, learn something you've always wanted to learn, and more all for free.

iBooks is great for getting digital textbooks or a book you need to read for school (or pleasure) just know that the textbooks are different than the hardcover textbook. The page numbers are different and it has somewhat different content. Also not all textbooks are available and it is prone to crashing. But it is far better than lugging around heavy textbooks. Also note: textbooks take up a lot of space on the iPad, make sure your iPad has at least 16gb or you may not have enough space for all of your apps and books.

Here are some misc apps that are good for specialty classes.

If you go to a Christian or catholic school, or just want a religious type app:

1) Bible by YouVersion
This is the entire Bible for free. It has Bible reading plans and study tools that are great for studying the Bible.

2) Bible +1
Price: varies depending on which bible version you get
It's similar to Bible (the app I listed before this) but it doesn't have study tools and you have to pay for each version of the bible you want. It has a nice layout and easy to use highlighting and verse saving tools.

If you take art classes or are an artist looking for a good art app:

1) Sketchbook Express and Sketchbook Pro
Price: express- free (but very basic) pro- paid (I want to say $10 but I don't remember)
This is the best art app you can get on the iPad. It works similar to its computer software, but is lacking a few of the computer softwares features. It's also great for note taking, if you have to draw something up. I use this in my art class almost everyday and it works great, but if you are multitasking be careful because it will crash and you will lose all unsaved work.

Those are all of my top apps, if you have any apps to add to this list, just comment them below. Just make sure you have the app name, price, and an overview/description when suggesting an app.

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird