z

Young Writers Society

The Shadow Relay (RECRUITMENT THREAD)

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:43 pm
Spotswood says...

I do not know exactly if this is the appropriate place to put this, but I chose to put this here because this forum has the most traffic.

I am sure that we've all heard of an audiodrama before, right? Before television, the main entertainment medium was the radio, on which different networks produced and aired a variety of shows ranging from sitcoms to suspenseful plays. If you still don't know where I'm coming from, just think of it like an audiobook with actors playing the various characters.

In the past, for fun, I have written audiodramas, such as a Star Wars one that takes place four-thousand years before the movies. Now I am on to more original works.

I've recently started working on and planning out a new concept project under the working title "Shadow Relay", an opera (simply meaning "dramatic work"...not music) and adventure show divided into multiple episodes as podcasts.

"Shadow Relay" focuses on the adventures of Jake Nolan, an orphaned, cynical, and occasionally manic, underestimated marine recruit training in New York, who accidentily proves himself worthy of joining the mysterious "Columbia Project."

After a series of tests and psychological evaluations designed to fit his needs and abilities, Jake is assigned to the prototype corvette "Columbia" under Captain Richard Pellew and is unnexpectadly promoted to ensign and given a position as "midshipman."

The drama, filled with colourful characters, action, and humour, focuses mainly on Jake (as he rises up the ranks) and his crewmates' experiences aboard the "Columbia" upon the various missions it is tasked with, as well as developing characters and relationships/bonds between the crew. Along the way the crew of the Columbia unravels a dark conspiracy that could potentially result in the end of humanity as we know it.

The storyline, aside from action, also focuses on the politics and intrigue as tensions rise between various world leaders.

So, for this project, I am in need of fellow writers and planners. I do intend to share the main idea, characters, and basic plot with the writers (since I cannot write EVERY SINGLE EPISODE) and all of us will be able to exchange ideas about the storyline and the "universe" (it's not an alternate universe, BTW). From there, all of us finally aware of what is going on sequencially, will write the episodes. Any inconsistancies will be fixed once all of the episodes come together.

Aside from that we also need voice actors to play the various parts, but that won't be a priority until later.

I am really excited about this idea and would actually like to make this work! If anyone is intrigued, I urge you to post below and I will send you more details.
Last edited by Spotswood on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:49 pm
MarbleToast says...

Ah-ha! This is something I'd like to lend a hand with. It'll also be really good for helping my dialogue as well. I don't mind what role I'm given.
Dreams sprout tall so beautiful
to wither and fall off
Old and dusty, creaky and rough
This clockwork will not rest

29 Reviews

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:18 pm
Spotswood says...

MarbleToast wrote:Ah-ha! This is something I'd like to lend a hand with. It'll also be really good for helping my dialogue as well. I don't mind what role I'm given.

Are you referring to writing or voice acting?
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:23 pm
MarbleToast says...

I see my previous post was confusing. Writing would be what I was on about.
Dreams sprout tall so beautiful
to wither and fall off
Old and dusty, creaky and rough
This clockwork will not rest

29 Reviews

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:08 pm
Spotswood says...

I created a club for it too. Join everybody!

clubs/2013
-R.U.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:31 am
ANADIR says...

This looks pretty interesting, but high school is picking up a lot of speed. I don't think I'll have time to write, but I would be glad to edit, if you need said services.
Is it not human nature to want what we cannot have, and yet manage to overlook the blessings piled upon us?

29 Reviews

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:26 pm
Spotswood says...

Here is the current description:

"Shadow Relay" is an audiodrama in podcast format, which tells the story of the crew of the Columbia, a prototype corvette designed for recon, infiltration, and support missions, with the occasional prize-taking.The story mainly focuses on Jake Nolan, the last person anyone would expect to be an officer aboard such a prestigious craft. While initially underestimated, he catches the attention of important figures in the higher chain of command due to his pragmatism, charisma, and affinity for tactics and strategy.

Along with a colourful cast of characters, Nolan and his friends embark on a journey full of danger, intrigue, and romance as they try to uncover one of the darkest conspiracies in all of history...

"Shadow Relay" introduces a new, but old fashioned, form of storytelling to YWS that will not only return to the roots of radio entertainment, but will also hopefully inspire other writers to create projects using this medium. We also hope to introduce psychological and philosophical themes in the show that bring up questions like "What does it mean to be human", "does the end justify the means", "is morality relative", and, finally "what is humanity's place in the universe..."

The universe and story itself present these questions through multiple lenses, such as the concepts of classical Aristotelian virtue, the idea of utilitarianism, and, finally, Nietsche's "Will to Power." In the end, is there really a "good" or an "evil?"

The project is currently being worked on by a team of writers, each focusing on their own episodes chronicling the voyage of the IS-99 Columbia.

Here is a link to the club

clubs/2013/about
-R.U.

29 Reviews

Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:23 pm
Spotswood says...

bump
-R.U.

29 Reviews

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:50 pm
Spotswood says...

bump
-R.U.

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief