Young Writers Society

What's your favorite book?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:26 am
View Likes
Nate says...

So... what's your favorite book?

Mine is probably the PIllars of the Earth by Ken Follet. It's a historical fiction novel about the building of a cathedral in fictional Kingsbury, England (based off the actual cathedral in Salisbury, England). It follows the construction of it from beginning to end over the course of more than 100 years, and it's an absolutely exquisite work. Another couple books that I really like are The Road and The Kite Runner -- both are beautifully written and heart wrenching (an understatement).

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:36 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

This is one of the most difficult questions ever. And picking a favoutite always depends on the mood/scneario etc I am in, so instead of trying to weigh out books in my head, I usually respond with a "There are probably too many to list out, but one of the recent ones which I loved is..."

Although, now you mention Kite Runner, I love it. Maybe I'll read it again. (I haven't yet read his third book though)
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:23 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket says...

Oh, that's such a hard questions Nate! XD I stick with what Lava said, but will mention the Hunger Games series or Lord of the Rings as two, all time favorites of mine. I also enjoy some historical fiction based books, but they aren't exactly favorites. So I'd put Catching Fire as my favorite if given the choice between them all. :D
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:23 pm
Lefty says...

My favorite book(s) are the Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu. It makes me sad that hardly anyone has read it, because it's amazing.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:29 pm
LadySpark says...

some of my favorites are Looking for Alaska by John Green, wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling, Julius Caesar by Shakespeare and My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:20 pm
CowLogic says...

I'd have to say Episode Two: Attack of the Clones, by Star Wars.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:00 pm
View Likes
birk says...

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:34 pm
rxch says...

Omgish I love Jonathan Safran Foer. have you read any of his other books. Everything is Illumanted is SUCH a good book!

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:55 am
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

I would have to say that Catching Fire is my favorite book. :D
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:07 pm
View Likes
MarbleToast says...

I don't think anyone can have a true, concrete answer to such a question, as you'll love a book for something different almost every time, plus -for me at least- I'll say 'This is my favourite book...', but that's either when I'm reading it presently, or really into the topic.

But I'm going to try...

The Inheritance Cycle by Chistopher Paolini is amazing, and with The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien, they are the definitive versions of proper out-there fantasy. But with more modern topics, Ready Player One by Earnest Cline is so geeky and brilliant, while having a already-done-before facade, it focuses on one narrow point in it that it wipes all the other similar novels away. Seriously, Metawars can't even touch it.

Ready Player One- http://readyplayerone.com/

Inheritance Cycle- http://www.alagaesia.com/

The Hobbit- http://www.tolkien.co.uk/category/The+Hobbit
Dreams sprout tall so beautiful
to wither and fall off
Old and dusty, creaky and rough
This clockwork will not rest

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:05 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

The Homeward Bounders by Diana Wynne Jones. Anyone else Diana Wynne Jones? She's awesome.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:41 am
View Likes
Willard says...

50 Shades of Grey

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:33 am
View Likes
Cirute says...

My Immortal.

Just kidding, my favorite would probably be... The Hobbit.
"Regrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention."
-The Sex Pistols

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:26 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

I would have to say that my favourite book of all time is The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. It's a book for younger readers, but I think that's why it's my favourite. It managed to absolutely throw me into a different place, capture my imagination and it encapsulates wonder, which for me is the most important attribute for anyone or anything to have. Yes, the ending became a little strange but it was still fantastic overall and holds a special place in my heart.

In fact I love many of Cornelia Funke's books, they inspired me to become a better writer who is able to capture rather than just write.
The World Is Mine.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:21 pm
tinny says...

Image Image Image Image
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
— Margaret Atwood