Young Writers Society

What's your favorite book?

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:02 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. And The Slow Regard of Silent Things Even though it hasn't come out yet. But I know I'm going to love it.
I'd better love it, or there will be a reckoning.
@Silverlock Good choice. I reread The Thief Lord this summer because I had remembered I liked it but I couldn't remember what happened exactly. It really is a quality book. ^_^
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

Random avatar

Reviews: 94
Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 pm
JumpyDot says...

in
Last edited by JumpyDot on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:54 pm
Cole says...

A Tale of Two Cites by Charles Dickens

In the midst of tensions that threaten revolution, two men - exiled French aristocrat Charles Darnay, and dissolute English lawyer Sydney Carton - are both redeemed and condemned by their love for Lucie Manette. However, they soon find themselves drawn against their will to the bloodstained streets of Paris and find themselves beneath the shadow of La Guillotine.

It's exciting, potent, heartrending, dark, moving, and, although the language is a little difficult to grasp to untrained readers, the writing and imagery are stupendous. Furthermore, the novel's ending has arguably become the most famous in English literature. This book, brimful with themes of vengeance, love, and redemption, is ultimately an allegory for the struggle between heaven and hell and the triumphant, selfless death of Christ.

A close runner-up, however, is Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz

In Rome, during the reign of cruel, decadent Nero, military commander Marcus Vinicius is entranced by the beautiful Christian slave Lygia. However, in a time when Christianity is persecuted, Marcus finds himself divided between loyalty and love. Then, when the Emperor sets the city alight and blames the Christians, hundreds are slain. As the city and its people burn, Marcus must face the possibility of losing Lygia to the jaws of Rome.

This novel was originally written in Polish. It is the winner of the 1905 Nobel Prize for Literature and, in my opinion, it is the greatest forbidden romance in classic literature. It was also adapted into an American film in 1951 and was wildly successful, becoming a monument in cinema history. This novel is fiery and thought-provoking, and includes a fascinating dichotomy between Roman paganism and Christianity.

Reviews: 3
Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:20 pm
eve5071 says...

Love in the Time of Cholera novle by Gabriel García Márquez

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:22 pm
View Likes
Spotswood says...

I fell in love with this book the summer before freshman year, about a month or so prior to my fifteenth birthday. I did not know what I thought of Holden at first, but, by the Spring of 2012, when I read it a second time due to it being assigned in English class, I figured out that he and I had similar beliefs and personality. By December, upon my third reading of the book, I had a completely different view of TCitR, and I actually thought that Holden and I were one and the same.

The character of Holden is now a part of me. Albeit a small part, the book changed my life, and even inspired a few short stories of mine, and the character of Parker Charlton, the main character of my "Dragged Down by the Stone" vignettes, which can be found on the website (I still have a couple of unpublished ones I need to upload at some point). I'm going to rewrite Parker to be less whiny and more cynical and humorous than Holden, but the book is still a major influence of mine.

They say that if you read the book at different points in your life you get something new out of it each time. I sure did the times I read it. I read it three times in a year and a half. I still haven't read it in almost two years though, since I was a sophomore.

When I start college next year, I plan on reading it again, as I would have entered a new phase of my life.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:46 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

How can I possibly pick?

The Host - Stephanie Meyer
If I Stay and Where She Went - Gayle Forman
The Thieves of Heaven - Richard Doestch
Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
Dragon Slippers Series - Jessica Day George
A Series of Unfortunate Events - Lemony Snicket
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
THE HUNGER GAMES SERIES BY SUZANNE COLLINS YES

That's all I can think of but there's probably more. :mrgreen:
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

175 Reviews

Reviews: 175
Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:49 pm
View Likes
Harker says...

My favorite book is most definitely The Book Thief!!!! (Go Whoody!)
John. Queer guy, writer, fan of stuff.

~ Some men are born in their bodies, others have to fight for it. ~

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:17 am
View Likes
elysian says...

Difficult! I would say so far, my favorite series is Maximus Ride, written by James Patterson. My favorite book right now, considering I've read it four times, would be Revolution, by Jennifer Donnelly. It's a historical fiction about the French Revolution. Very good balance between historical facts and a fiction story to go with it. Well written in the least.

I have only have 13 years to live, and about 5 years that I've actually been into writing and reading, so I have little to go by :)
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:16 am
Wolfi says...

I'd like to include a short list of my favorite books that are just masterpieces. In my opinion, no modern books can compare.

First off, Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry (1985):
Spoiler! :

If you only read one western in your life, this is the one to read.

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1852):
Spoiler! :

When I read this book, it was incredible to know that the very words I was reading had impacted America so many years before. This book is so beautifully written, with wonderful religious insight from Tom and little Eva.

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (1936):
Spoiler! :

It's the book everyone wants to get around to, and for good reason. It's long, yes, but it will change your life.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:46 pm
TigersMoon says...

The whole series. I love those books, you have no idea.
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

If you steal property, you must report its fair market value...
— John Oliver