Young Writers Society

The Collective Summer 2014 Booklist!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed May 14, 2014 3:38 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Now that that's done, I would also like to second The Lovely Bones and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and put in some new suggestions! @fortis and whoever else, feel free to second as many books as you like! And feel free to come back if you think of more suggestions, like I'm doing right now.

Title: Frankenstein
Author: Mary Shelley
Genre: Classic/Horror
What's it about? Victor Frankenstein is a medical man who, in a delirium, manages to create life in the form of Frankenstein's monster.
Why you should read it: It's nothing like the movies! The monster doesn't have a bolt in his neck and he's a very eloquent, profound dude. It's a book that really gets you thinking.
This book would suit you if: It's a short, easy read, and even though it's a classic it's perfect to take to the beach.

Title: Slaughterhouse 5
Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Genre: Historical/Other
What's it about? Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time. Between scenes of Pilgrim being observed by aliens, flashbacks and flashforwards, Vonnegut tells the haunting tale of an American prisoner of war in Dresden during the destruction of the German city by allied bombers towards the end of the Second World War.
Why you should read it: Vonnegut based this book on personal experience, he makes several cameos in the story. It's a really harrowing, disillusioning picture of war, and has some really memorable lines. It's fairly short and easy to pack.
This book would suit you if: People with an interest in World War Two would enjoy it, although you'll hate what the Allies did in Dresden forever (or at least I did) so if you're from one of those countries don't go in expecting anything too patriotic. It's also for an older crowd - definitely 16+.

Title: How I Live Now
Author: Meg Rossoff
Genre: Young Adult
What's it about? Daisy is an American who goes to stay with her English cousins for an idyllic summer. That is, until the summer is shattered into a million pieces by the outbreak of World War Three. The story doesn't focus on the politics or the war (we don't even know who's attacking Britain), but rather on Daisy's efforts to get herself and her nine year old cousin Piper home after they're displaced.
Why you should read it: Another really great book about personal stories from war time, but totally different this time. Daisy is a really compelling main character, she's unlikable to begin with and her transformation from bratty American teenager to a fighter and mother to Piper is something very extraordinary.
This book would suit you if: I think it's good for teens especially.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Wed May 14, 2014 3:53 pm
View Likes
megsug says...

I second Pride and Prejudice, All Creatures Great and Small, The Lovely Bones, The Mysterious Benedict Society, and Flowers for Algernon, Frankenstein, and Slaughterhouse 5
You guys have such good taste.

Title: Jane Eyre
Author: Elizabeth Brontee
Genre: Romance
Stealing from Amazon...
What's it about? Jane Eyre is the story of a small, plain-faced, intelligent, and passionate English orphan. Jane is abused by her aunt and cousin and then attends a harsh charity school. Through it all she remains strong and determinedly refuses to allow a cruel world to crush her independence or her strength of will. A masterful story of a woman's quest for freedom and love.
Why you should read it: A classic Gothic novel example, it's full of drama and mysteries. Also, Mr. Rochester is hotter than Edward and Jacob and Peeta and Gale combined, soooo...
This book would suit you if: You gotta like romance and be willing to muddle your way through Victorian language.

Title: Rebecca
Author: Daphne du Maurier
Genre: Mystery
What's it about? A young woman marries a wealthy man and finds that she has to fill his beloved deceased wife's shoes. Mystery surrounds how she died. Was there foul play?
Why you should read it: It's got great voicing and (I thought anyways) a surprising ending.
This book would suit you if: It's an older book, but not that hard of a read. There are some romance elements.

I need to go look at my bookshelf again xD
Test

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Wed May 14, 2014 4:32 pm
View Likes
Sachiko says...

HEY i have more recs (with summaries this time mostly stolen from amazon in the spoilers.) are you ready.

Title: The Raven Boys
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: YA/vaguely historical/fantasy
What's it about?
Spoiler! :
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue never sees them--until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks to her.

His name is Gansey, a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul whose emotions range from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She doesn't believe in true love, and never thought this would be a problem. But as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.

Why you should read it: Though I have a touch and go relationship with Stiefvater's writing, I REALLY liked the writing in this book. The sequel (The Dream Thieves) is just as good, if not better. So again because reasons. Don't ask me. Just reasons.
This book would suit you if: You're down with finding ancient kings, mystical forests in Virginia, and also angry irish boys with pet ravens because I really just have a lot of feelings about Ronan Lynch.

Title: American Gods
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fantasy
What's it about? A war between the "old" gods of the old country and the "new" gods of America duking it out for headspace.
Why you should read it: EPIC ROAD TRIP. Also, Neil Gaiman.
This book would suit you if: NEIL. GAIMAN

Title: The Thirteenth Tale
Author: Diane Setterfield
Genre: Historical
What's it about?
Spoiler! :
Sometimes, when you open the door to the past, what you confront is your destiny.

Reclusive author Vida Winter, famous for her collection of twelve enchanting stories, has spent the past six decades penning a series of alternate lives for herself. Now old and ailing, she is ready to reveal the truth about her extraordinary existence and the violent and tragic past she has kept secret for so long. Calling on Margaret Lea, a young biographer troubled by her own painful history, Vida disinters the life she meant to bury for good. Margaret is mesmerized by the author's tale of gothic strangeness -- featuring the beautiful and willful Isabelle, the feral twins Adeline and Emmeline, a ghost, a governess,a topiary garden and a devastating fire. Together, Margaret and Vida confront the ghosts that have haunted them while becoming, finally, transformed by the truth themselves.

Why you should read it: If you enjoy books about authors and siblings and also maybe ghosts.
This book would suit you if: you enjoy books about authors and siblings and also maybe ghosts.

Title: Jellicoe Road
Author: Melina Marchetta
Genre: YA/Coming of Age
What's it about?
Spoiler! :
Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

Why you should read it: Frankly? It's just a REALLY good book. Emotional and meaningful without being completely sappy.
This book would suit you if: YOU ENJOY READING REALLY GOOD BOOKS.

Title: The Princess Bride
Author: William Goldman
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure
What's it about?
Spoiler! :
A tale of true love and high adventure, pirates, princesses, giants, miracles, fencing, and a frightening assortment of wild beasts—The Princess Bride is a modern storytelling classic.

As Florin and Guilder teeter on the verge of war, the reluctant Princess Buttercup is devastated by the loss of her true love, kidnapped by a mercenary and his henchman, rescued by a pirate, forced to marry Prince Humperdinck, and rescued once again by the very crew who absconded with her in the first place. In the course of this dazzling adventure, she'll meet Vizzini—the criminal philosopher who'll do anything for a bag of gold; Fezzik—the gentle giant; Inigo—the Spaniard whose steel thirsts for revenge; and Count Rugen—the evil mastermind behind it all. Foiling all their plans and jumping into their stories is Westley, Princess Buttercup’s one true love and a very good friend of a very dangerous pirate.

Why you should read it: You should totally read this book if you enjoy hysterical writing. Also, it's just as good as the movie.
This book would suit you if: YOU ENJOY BOOKS THAT ARE AS GOOD AS MOVIES THAT WERE BASED OFF OF BOOKS
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed May 14, 2014 9:00 pm
Gardevite says...

Seconding 'The Lovely Bones'!
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed May 14, 2014 11:47 pm
crossroads says...

Seconding Deathless and Thirteenth Tale (although the latter has some awkward tense switching, at least the version I read).
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Wed May 14, 2014 11:51 pm
View Likes
Willard says...

Seconding Slaughterhouse Five because its a great book everyone needs to read

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu May 15, 2014 12:30 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Seconding American Gods because I'm mad someone else got there first. (I may or may not have gone to Rock City solely because of that book. :P)

Will edit later with my additions.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Thu May 15, 2014 12:50 am
Snowery says...

Okay so here's my list of seconding. I'll post my own suggestions after my test today is done)

Seconding:

The Lies of Locke Lamora: Something I've wanted to read for a while now, I've heard that it's good.

The Blade Itself: Like the above it's also a book I've been wanting to read.

House of Leaves: This one I actually have started reading and it seems pretty good so far, will continue after my exams. I've always liked books that challenge the norm of narration and this is one of them.

Pride and Prejudice: The best (and also the only) romance book that I've ever read. <3

Frankenstein: thought it was awesome

That's it for now!
The World Is Mine.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Thu May 15, 2014 1:09 am
View Likes
GoldFlame says...

Why you should read it: It's nothing like the movies! The monster doesn't have a bolt in his neck and he's a very eloquent, profound dude. It's a book that really gets you thinking.

Frankenstein: seconded. I can't believe I forgot that book. It was amazingness wrapped into a novella. I read the unrevised edition; I don't know if there's a difference... ? Apparently it's gorier or something?

The Princess Bride: also seconded.
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Thu May 15, 2014 1:23 am
View Likes
GoldFlame says...

In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Title: The Hitchhiker's Ultimate Guide to the Galaxy
Author: Douglas Adams
Genre: Science Fiction/Satire
What's it about? It follows the adventures of one of the two remaining Earthmen, Arthur Dent. Sliced into five novellas: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Restaurant At the End of the Universe; Life, the Universe, and Everything; So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish; Mostly Harmless.
Why you should read it: My family still talks about it around the dinner table. It's the kind of book that'll ignite warm memories if read young. WARNING: readers may laugh out loud, roll on the floor, cry, fall in love with the characters, or frequently feel the necessity to re-reread sections.
This book would suit you if: you want a light, refreshing read and a good laugh. There's some mature content, and I don't know if twelve-year-olds would enjoy it, but it's well-written.
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Thu May 15, 2014 1:30 am
Ventomology says...

I'm seconding The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart! (Suggested by Spottedkit) It's a fabulous story, and the puzzles in everything the kids encounter are mind-boggling, and very eloquently explained.

There is also a prequel and two sequels definitely worth reading. (Be warned, these books are serious anacondas.)
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu May 15, 2014 1:42 am
birk says...

I need to second both 'American Gods' and The Hitchhiker's Ultimate Guide to the Galaxy. They are amazing.

And @GoldFlame, if that line doesn't pick at people's curiosity then I don't know what will. :D

The ultimate guide is thick as a tome though. I still haven't gotten through all of it.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu May 15, 2014 5:39 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Seconding Jane Eyre and Hitchhiker!

A new suggestion:

Title: Life of Pi
Author: Yann Martel
Genre: Adventure?
What's it about? A boy called Pi whose family owns a zoo which gets sold to Canada so they all set off on a ship from India to Canada only the ship sinks in a storm and Pi and a tiger are the only survivors and they live on a lifeboat for several months.
Why you should read it: It's emotion-provoking and unique in my opinion, and it was really refreshing for me to read something that made me feel so good about a reading experience for a long time.
This book would suit you if: you enjoy survival stories and a bit of philosophy.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu May 15, 2014 11:08 pm
WritingWolf says...

I'd like to second The Princess Bride and The Hitchhiker's Ultimate Guide to the Galaxy.

And now here are a few more books...

Title: Ender's Game
Author: Orson Scott Card
Genre: Science fiction
What's it about? Several years after the second alien invasion, earth is preparing itself for a third. The International Fleet has started testing young children (starting at the age of 6) for command capabilities. All children who pass these tests will be sent to battle school.
Ender's Game follows Andrew "Ender" Wigging during his time at battle school. The teachers there push him to the breaking point. Colonel Graff has trained many students, and he fears that time is running short. The more time passes, the more eager Graff is to see Ender ready for combat.
Ender pushes through battle school with the help of a few friends and is soon moved to Command School. There he faces even harder pressure, as the time of the third invasion looms closer.
Why you should read it: Amazing character development. Beautiful ideas on what the future may hold. Wonderful plot twists.
It's an extremely enjoyable read for anyone, but definite read for anyone hoping to write sci-fi.
This book would suit you if: This book was originally written as adult fiction. But due to the fact that there was no "questionable content" to make it adult fiction, and the age of it's MC, it is now generally accepted as young adult fiction (you will notice that the rest of the series, where the MC is an adult, is usually classified as adult fiction, even though it's content is just as mature as Ender's Game). So age group wise, probably teens and adults.
Anyone who has ever enjoyed sci-fi before would probably love this. (If you like scientific sounding sci-fi, then keep going with the series. If you like military/political sci-fi, then I'd recommend another series following one of the minor characters, The Shadow Saga)

Title: The Last Unicorn
Author: Peter S. Beagle
Genre: Fantasy
What's it about? A unicorn who has lived peacefully in her forest, until one day she learns that she might be the last of her kind. She then sets out on a quest to find the other unicorns. With the help of a maid named Molly, and a wizard called Schmendrick, she will face witches and knight on her journey to save her kind.
Why you should read it: A delightful story. Told extremely well.
This book would suit you if: It's more of a children's story. If you enjoy light, enchanting stories and fairy tales then this should be right up your ally.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Fri May 16, 2014 3:15 am
Willard says...

I'm back with a useless suggestion. I'm seconding Ender's Game.

Title: Science Fair
Author: Dave Berry and Ridley Pearson
Genre: Humor.
What's it about? (Amazon plot)
Grdankl the Strong, president of Krpshtskan, is plotting to take over the American government. His plan is to infiltrate the science fair at Hubble Middle School, located in a Maryland suburb just outside Washington. The rich kids at Hubble cheat by buying their projects every year, and Grdankl's cronies should have no problem selling them his government-corrupting software. But this year, Toby Harbinger, a regular kid with Discount Warehouse shoes, is determined to win the $5,000 prize-even if he has to go up against terrorists to do it. With the help of his best friends, Tamara and Micah, Toby takes on Assistant Principal Paul Parmit, aka "The Armpit," a laser-eyed stuffed owl, and two eBay buyers named Darth and the Wookiee, who seem to think that the Harrison Ford signed BlasTech DL-44 blaster Toby sold them is counterfeit. What transpires is a hilarious adventure filled with mystery, suspense, and levitating frogs.
Why you should read it: It brings out the inner child in you.
This book would suit you if: You enjoy just stupid and absurd humor. Easily one of my favorite books.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee