z

Young Writers Society

The YWStionary

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:30 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Boy: one's love interest, crush or boyfriend!

BoyCrush: for those who like to keep the limits to 'Crush, maybe possible crush'.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:31 am
View Likes
Dreamery says...

All of your guys' words and definitions have been added! Let's try to knock out every letter!

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:44 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

XD- ( previously not a word ) to mean; that's awesome/hilarious! or; I've run out of things to say. exp. "I just ate my foot! XD" or "XD maybe next week..." also; xD, a weirder version, see 'creepy'.
100% autistic

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:59 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

Roostah - (n) The unexplainable unexplainability behind why unexplainability is not a real word.
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:58 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

@Audy - the last one, yes!!

Here's one : Randomosity : it really is the best policy.
(@JabberHut)
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:29 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I want to know why I didn't see that tag until just. Now.

You totally edited it in so I wouldn't get a notification, didn't you.

And Randomosity. Heck yes!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:30 pm
View Likes
ongoeslife says...

Member -- (v) To think of something for the first time.

Remember -- (v) To think of something again.

6 Reviews

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:29 am
View Likes
Dreamery says...

Progress Report:

There are still some letters that haven't been used yet! They're: E, I, J, L, Q, U, V, and W.

CHALLENGE:
The challenge is to use as many words from the YWStionary as you can in any review! Post your results here!

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:51 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

Eichonodointaran - (adj.) Fancy-shmancy blabber-twit.

Ich - (n) A sock-drawer in one's brain.

Justire -(n) What society accepts as a fair form of satire.
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:43 pm
View Likes
PiesAreSquared says...

We do have to try to get the message spread around so we'll have to do the review challenge.

Anyway

Vasticity-(n.) a short YWS answer when the speaker is not wanting to reveal their location. It comes from a corruption of "just a city."
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

Spoonersim- an activity in which one switches the vowels or consonants of a word or of words, heavily prevalent in chat mostly because of the influence of @carbonCore and @TommySneak, otherwise known as Cobrancroe and SonnyTeak
examples include:
-sustard mamples- mustard samples
-Wackblood- Blackwood
-mappy heel- happy meal
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:56 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Octagon- (v.) The question to life, the universe, and everything in it

Icecream- (n.) The answer to life, the universe, and everything in it

Blaziken- A good pokemon, the best pokemon.

Your Mom- Also known as your mom

Go-go juice- a mixture of drugs, soda, and five pounds of sugar.

Winning- When you stop losing

Qeip- An imaginary bird that enjoys eating small cows.

Underdog- A canine super hero

Xtreme- extreme, as written by Bob Marley, and Jacky Chan

Johnson- That guy from accounting.

Bob- The most generic name to have even been thought up.

LOL- Text talk for laugh out loud, often used by people who are not laughing out loud.

Borg- (n.) A collective alien race that appears as recurring antagonists in various incarnations of Iceland.

Intentlanary- (n.) A building or structure that is small outside but massive inside.

Now for less joking stuff:

Frankenstein- (v.) A zolen brand term, the act of forcing together broken ideas/parts to make a working concept/machine. As inspired by Dr.Frankenstein who used many parts in order to create his monster.

Babble- A zolen brand term, where you put descriptions where they are not needed or say something that sort of just appears and then is forgotten, like a left over phrase meant to imply something, but does not really fit. Also can mean going on and on, and on for no apparent reason, locked in details that add nothing to the story.

De-Still- A zolen brand term, rather then pushing a mood, you add an extra word or a whole sentence, dulling the feeling. The sentence or phrase ruined or weakened loosing what ever feeling the words would have impressed. It's actually important that reviewers mention this because the mood you put into a story can make or break even the best writing, this is more important then grammar, as what might fail grammatically could still be perfect in the right context.

Over Dose- A zolen brand term, there are phrases, words, choices that just don't fit, you see most people who are not big on writing have a rather limited vocabulary, and the point of a book is to immerse our audience, make them feel wanted and, for lack of a better word, worshiped. Everything needs to be within their understanding, nothing can be beyond or push a bit to hard on their vocabulary, so its wise to look for alternatives when you would rather put in a big word, as painful as that can be. The best way to think about it is, "would a middle school kid know this word?"

Under Dose- A zolen brand term, sometimes it's better to throw in a big word, in cases where otherwise you change the mood in the wrong direction, or it's getting close to a baby word. You don't want to make your readers pick up a dictionary, but you don't want them to feel like their reading a baby book either. This is not always obvious however, sometimes a word that works somewhere else in the paragraph would be an under dose because of placement or context.

Mahogany- From far away on the planet of Malchior 7, where the trees are three hundred feet tall and breath fire, and play blackjack, and summon old women to tell people to get off their lawn, they are the great and powerful mahogany trees. While powerful, if you can get one of these trees, and if a desk is forged, using ANCIENT BLOOD RITUALS OF AWESOME it will become a not only amazing desk it shall become..... NIGH INDESTRUCTIBLE, bending the fabric of the universe itself at your command! Also, it's a very fine material. Very expensive.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

6 Reviews

Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:00 am
View Likes
Dreamery says...

GREAT NEWS!

All of the letters have been given words! Great job, everyone!

THE REVIEW CHALLENGE IS STILL ACTIVE:

Use as many YWStionary words in any review as you can!

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 am
View Likes
Astronaut says...

Intentlanary- (n.) A building or structure that is small outside but massive inside. See: TARDIS

Remembarassment- (n.) When you remember something stupid you did in the past, and it hurts even more than it did when it actually happened.
I don't have a signature.

Spoiler! :
Bet you didn't see that coming...

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:26 am
View Likes
Pan says...

smake- the act of slapping quicky and harshly, usually accompanied by a loud sound that occurs two seconds after the smake.
(example:
"Did you just say that I was fat?"
"Yeah, and your sister is prettier than you."
"I'm gonna smake you so hard your mom feels it!"
*then she smakes him so hard his mom really does feel it.)

Term created by @dragonlily
I AM THE PAN.
BEWARE MY KITCHEN UTENSIL-Y GLORY!
Formerly 'PenAndSword'

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
— H. Jackson Brown