z

Young Writers Society

How to defeat Writer's Block

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:19 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

So, you have writer's block again? Or is this your first time? Well, if you have it again shoot it down. If this is your first time, shoot it down.

A tip I find useful for writer's block is description. Look outside. Start describing what you see. Maybe think of an scene in your head and describe that. If you can't think of anything, go to a friend. Ask them to describe a scene and you write a script to that scene. Remember to use your five senses. It helps when you can't think of anything to write.

Smell- What are you smelling?

Taste- What are you tasting?

Sight-What are you seeing?

Sound- What are you hearing?

Touch- What are you feeling?

Example: Say you are at a ballpark. Use your 5 senses to describe the scene in front of you.

You smell the freshly mowed grass as it penetrates your nostrils. The hotdog that you are eating taste strange, perhaps it is old? It is hard to see as you are surrounded by a cluster of blue and red clashing together in front of you. You hear people shouting in encouragement and disappointment. You feel the soft foam of the foam finger on your hand, ready to be thruster into the air once your team wins.

You can get a good paragraph just using your five senses. Dialogue trouble? Well, think of earlier conversations you had, read, or heard. Perhaps base your dialogue off that. Character troubles? Well, hopefully there is someone near you who you can base a character off of.

Description is good. Writing a story is even better
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:23 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

This is a thought I had and I don't know if it would work (btw I like your idea as well Lotstthought) but when you get writers block write ABOUT it. Write how it feels to not know how or what to write. Write how long it has taken. It may help. I don't know because I have never had Writers Block.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:26 pm
lostthought says...

There are some poems on here that did it. You may be able to find them.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:28 am
Tenyo says...

This is a really neat idea!

I find that with writers block, there isn't really a list of boxes you can tick and then it's gone, but this is as close as it might get. It has the sense of instant gratification of completing a task but still inspires the imagination enough to get over blockage.

In my personal experience writing about writers block works as long as it leads on to something else. There are times when I've sat for twenty minutes and spat out 1500 words about how angsty I am, and in the end I feel worse for it =p

I'd be interested to see if that works for anyone else though.
We were born to be amazing.

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:24 am
View Likes
Pompadour says...

Well, whenever I have writer's block, I take a break from whatever I'm working on and write about writer's block instead! It can be utter rubbish, but I've noticed that it really helps. I think about my character's situation, and then ask him, "What do you think you should do?"

I'm an insanely positive person at times, so I can't really say. When I get really angry with my writing, I just abandon it for a while and go do something else. I read more about the topic on the internet, do some research, or pop by on YWS and review some works. I've found that it helps.

I've always thought that Writer's block is a symptom of a great idea coming your way, and that what's wrong with it is that you can't figure out how to apply said idea. Or it may be a sign to take a break, a short nap maybe, and then continue with your work when you're refreshed and ready to go!

The senses idea is cool, too. It's interesting to see how people choose to deal with writer's block. :)
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

155 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 155
Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 pm
View Likes
Arcticus says...

Writer's block is kinda like depression - you have to find your own ways to deal with it. I doubt if there's a general antidote to this thing. You can crawl the internet for ideas or bury yourself in a library but *bam* it's still there. I kinda ride the tide and wait for the right moment (when inspiration rains down). I would however, like to mention some painkillers I take for this :

1) Reading a book/novel (whatever interests me) to get the juices flowing.

2) Writing down whatever comes to mind, even if meaningless scraps. (The idea being to keep the will to write alive)

In conclusion, you've got to accept it to some extent. It might be safe to say that every writer gets a writer's block at some point. So, make the best of it while you're still inspired. Write while you can.
You either worship something higher than yourself or end up worshiping yourself

Naturally Tipsy ©

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato