z

Young Writers Society

Reviews, Reviews, and More Reviews...

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:04 pm
Magenta says...

I am pretty new to the Young Writers Society (YWS) and I have only written one thing, Mirage, a poem I hastily put together for some fun. After joining, all I have really been doing is reviewing and I haven't even done that many. Please give some ideas on how to be a good reviewer, writer, and maybe review my one and only piece, Mirage. I am really trying to spread the word because that is all I have written. Hope to get to know all of you here! :P

~ Magenta

P.S. What is BBCode? I see " BBCode acceptable" and " BBCode on" yet I have no idea what it is... Please let me know and keep on writing!
Spoiler! :
It's a tiny little mystery, that makes no sense to me...

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:27 pm
megsug says...

First, Welcome to YWS! For only two days, twelve reviews is a lot! Here are two articles might help you out.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=18792
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=33226

BBCode is what makes text bold or italics or small or large. I'm not a master, so I don't know all of them, but it goes like this:
Bold:
Italics:
Underline:
Strikethrough:
For a link: [url][/url]

There are tons, but those are the really useful ones.

Ah, and you can request reviews here.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'd be happy to help.
Test

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:32 pm
crossroads says...

Hey there, and welcome ;)

First of all, it's awesome to hear you're reviewing already, and don't worry, your poem will get reviewed soon if it hasn't been already!

You could check the WRFF forum, where people offer their review services. Don't forget to read through the rules of that forum before requesting a review in anyone's thread or offering your own reviews to others.

How To Write A Good Critique by Emerson and The YWS Critique Sandwich by Nate are two great articles I'm calling you to check out - they really explain everything about reviewing in depth. I'm pretty sure there's more of them in the Knowledge Base, so feel free to look through there as well!

As for being a good writer, it's about practice, mostly, and reviewing other people's works can definitely improve your own writing too. There's a lot of advices and ideas in the whole Resources area, and it's very interesting to read through :3

Edit. Megs beat me by a few minutes xD But anyway, here you can find majority of codes to use around YWS ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:41 pm
megsug says...

Pfft. Good thing you did. My bbcodes were soooo helpful xP
Test

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

It's really important to say why you felt the way you did about the piece, because that is a way to become a better writer! As you notice what works for you and what doesn't, you start subconsciously doing more of what you like and less of what you don't in your own writing.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:59 pm
Tenyo says...

Getting reviews

On the tabs at the top of the forum there is a little round thing that takes you to the options. Then you go to [Profile] and [Edit Signature]. You can put a comment like 'it's always polite to return reviews' and a link to your work, so that anyone who finds your review useful knows where to go to return the favour.

Post a link on your wall! People do good things for their friends, so, with review day coming up some will head for the green room, some will head to their feed to see if any of their friends want reviews, and yours will be right there.

Post a request in the Will Review For Food forum (Aria has included the link in her post up ^ there.) or, you can start your own thread to take requests on a review-for-review basis.

Writing Reviews

Check out the links above XD
And these, if you like;

Battle Tactics: Reviewing the Unreviewable

The Big Book of YWS Codes

Reviewing: The gentle way
We were born to be amazing.

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:03 pm
Magenta says...

Thank you all for welcoming me here. I would do the same for you too but it appears that you have all been on this site for quite awhile. I am inexperienced but I hope to learn fast. :? Thank you also for explaining the BBCode. I hope to get to know you all and we can be great friend through our lighted computer/technological gadget. (Not sure that I used the right word). I will be sure to visit the links and articles you wrote about! Does anyone know how to rack up those points? I really want to catch up... I hope you guys have a good evening. Be back soon. :)

- Magenta
Spoiler! :
It's a tiny little mystery, that makes no sense to me...

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:32 am
Rosendorn says...

Reviewing! You get more points the longer the reviews you write. :) You can get a maximum of 150 or 175 points if you hit up the Green Room (how many points you get is explained at the top!). If the work already has two reviews, then the maximum is 100 points. It takes 2-3 reviews to get enough to post a single work.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Who, being loved, is poor?
— Oscar Wilde