z

Young Writers Society

Writer's Block

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:09 pm
GoldFlame says...

Writer's block. It's my worst enemy. I'm never motivated enough after a few chapters to keep writing. Sure, I love planning out novel plots, especially fantasy ones, but when it comes to writing them out...

Maybe because I'm a perfectionist? I can't write a page without jumping back and smoothing it down. Some of the plots and characters I've invented I'm interested in, and it'd be great to develop them, but something always seems to slow me down. Any suggestions on how to prevent or overcome writer's block?
β€œHe leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:22 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

So... this is actually not that uncommon a problem. Most writers tend to scrap their novels after the first few chapters, and there are a variety of reasons for it. How to stop it depends on why it happens.

Most commonly it's because you've got no fuel for the fire.

So you get a load of chemicals, a few matches, smash them all together over a pile of wood and watch a furnace reach up so high you swear it will eat up the stars.

Then it starts to smoke a bit, and die down. So you keep poking and prodding it and willing it to burn, but it doesn't. When you realise it's finally dying down to embers you decide that the mixture isn't good enough, or the air is too humid, or this spot has too much wind, and you move on somewhere else.

It's about keeping up a supply of wood and explosives. It's easy to get excited about a brand new plot because everything is all shiny and brilliant and the fire just seems to burn on its own.

So what happens when you're done introducing the characters and plot and the world it's in? Keep creating. Keep adding new things.

If you think about it, this is the best part of the novel. You already have your framework solidly set up and now you're going to start adding the flesh. What really makes your characters tick? What sinister motives lie lurking in the corners of their minds? Just how many times have they already failed in their quest before this one?

In the case of perfectionism, this is especially relevant. Sometimes you can draw a picture and not want to paint it just in case the second layer turns out wrong. The trick? Do it wrong on purpose.

Things aren't meant to tie neatly together. The destined saviour isn't supposed to also be the most powerful character. The small-town thief was never going to be a natural assassin.

Take some time to strip your characters bare, hit a few nerves and expose their flaws. Show the strong at their weakest and the weak at their strongest.

You've got the skeleton, now it's time to add the flesh; the heart and lungs and soul. Bleached bones are nice and shiny but they'll never lead to sentiment- you have to add to the blaze.

Additional Note:
Once you get the hang of breaking through this part and reaching further into your novel it becomes more natural to get past it, so remember that even if this novel is rubbish and is never going to get anywhere, push past the doubt and you'll see just how awesome it becomes.
We were born to be amazing.

XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory