z

Young Writers Society

Supporting Characters

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:54 pm
ExOmelas says...

I had these two supporting characters that were supposed to help characterise my protagonist but I've developed them a lot and I really, really like them. I think they could have some really interesting interactions with the other main characters that get introduced later. But, I'm not sure if that will just slow down the narrative and I'd have to re-plan a LOT. Basically, I'm asking if it's worth it. Please help me?

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:18 pm
View Likes
eyeofthestorm says...

How much is really, really like them?
I think it really depends on how it will impact your story. If they become main characters, can they still serve the purpose you originally intended for them? If not, how would that change the story?
It's hard to make a call about someone else's story, but try it out both ways--write a few chapters with them as characters there for just support, write a few with them as main characters, and see which you like better.
How much will it change your plot?
It's worth it if you care about the characters, and especially if you think there's anyone else in the world who cares about those characters.

I hope this makes sense, if not you can PM me--

--Rylee

P.S. I love your avatar (:
Bilbo: What have I got in my pocket?
Gollum: Handsies!
Bilbo: Nope, guess again.
Gollum: A knife! No, no...
Bilbo: Wrong again.
Gollum: String! Or... Nothing!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:38 pm
Rosendorn says...

Will you get bored with the story if you don't change it? Will you always wonder what those side characters will be like as main characters? Will your passion for the story go up if you write it from the side characters' perspective?

If the answer is yes to any of the above, it's worth it.

My general opinion boils down to "will it make you interested?" I've always had very long sloughs with my novels— multiple years— and you have to be willing to sit with the story for multiple drafts (5 or even 10+). You'll edit till you get exhausted. You'll work the story and rework the story until it's as good as you can possibly make it, then if you want to publish it you go through more rounds of critiques between your agent and your editor, until everybody's happy.

I'm laying out this really long process for you because that's what it takes to be published, and you want to make sure you can stay interested in the story long enough to reach your goals.

If that means changing out your main character for the side characters you love a million times more?

Do it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

760 Reviews

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:00 pm
ExOmelas says...

I think I have an idea ... for now. I think I'll have them become more like main characters to the reader but to the protagonist they'll sort of fade into the background as she meets new people. I think I can probably do something with some jealousy and/or resentment.
So thanks for the help :)

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:16 pm
Rosendorn says...

Another thing. It's not like these characters have to go away completely. You can write other novels with those characters and let your MC have their novel for now. I've seen it happen before with Shannon Hale's The Books of Bayern series. Each book is self contained, but references the lives of other characters.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

760 Reviews

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:32 pm
ExOmelas says...

Okay, cool. I was thinking about maybe having no presence but just communication with them - then I remembered that it's eventually going to involve interplanetary travel but if I can work out a way around that then they can be sort of Earth correspondents and I think that will suit them very well.

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

This looks like a really bad episode of Green Acres.
— David Letterman