z

Young Writers Society

I Don't Know Where to Begin...

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:40 am
colie18 says...

Hey Guys,

I am having a lot of trouble. I have tried to write about many things but I never seem to be able to finish it. I don't know if maybe I am working with the wrong genre. I need help. Is it easy to start with something I know? Rather then make-something and run with it.

Do you have any tips on writing a novel? Maybe how and what I use to write? What works for you?

I will try anything.... I appreciate all of your feedback.

Thank You

Colie
"Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish." ~John Jakes

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:57 pm
Cheetah says...

Hey Colie! Sometimes it's really hard to start a book, poem, or short story. My #1 tip for this is outlining! Outlining is an amazing thing- it spreads out your story so you can see things fall into place. Once you know what's going to happen, it'll be easier to start. Good luck! :)
And passersby who heard his echoing laughter wondered what kind of grief man had to go through before he could laugh so free.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Stay interested in what you're writing.

That's really my biggest tip— keep constantly thinking what would make the piece interesting, what makes you want to write it, what's the next cool twist you can throw in.

Do not write things because you "have" to keep writing it, but keep writing because you love the story, love the characters. Cut what you don't like, and cut it mercilessly. Avoid any conventions you don't like. If that means you end up genre blending till your work has no classification? Great! It's your first draft. It's perfect just by being down.

Which brings me to point 2: your first draft will never be perfect. Ever. Your work will never be perfect. Just get stuff down and make it interesting.

Write what you love. Write what you want to. Find an idea that takes over your imagination and gets your heart pounding just thinking about how cool it'll be to actually have that in your story.

Hope this helps.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

“All stories are true," Skarpi said. "But this one really happened, if that's what you mean.”
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind