z

Young Writers Society

Best Ways past Writers block?

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:51 pm
ka67 says...

well,I just had a huge explosion in idea's for this story I wrote and put on here(Witch's are awesome ;D) Yet,now I'm writers blocked and can't seem to work past it and get new ideas! Anyone have good quirks that help them past Idea blocks? :D
It's been so long since I've last been on YWS, and I need to get back into it :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:19 pm
Rosendorn says...

Ask "what if?" or "what next?" Preferably a mix of the two. Talk to your characters to find out what they want to do next. Ask yourself what'd be cool to happen next. Forget plausibility— if an idea interests you, make it work.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:39 am
Aley says...

If people say talk to your characters, and you say, what do you mean by that? Then try just introducing yourself to them first.

Hi my name is Aley, I've been writing poetry since third grade off and on. What interests do you have?
I'm not sure what "therd graid" is, but if it lets you write poetry, that's pretty cool. I'm interested in hunting mainly. I'm actually one of the few female hunters in my village.
Oh! You live in a village? What types of things do they do in your village aside from hunt?
Well I came from a blacksmith's family, which I will eventually do as a profession, but we also have weaving, farming, fishing, and livestock as some of our main exports. We sell our goods to other farmers.

Etc. I don't know the character's name, but I can start to 'hear' them by basic introductory questions and expanding on them by follow up questions. Once you've developed a 'relationship' with your character, find the story in their life and introduce yourself to the minor characters too.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:56 am
Hobbit22 says...

Well, writer's block is the last thing a writer would wish upon himself/herself. I only had a what I would call a little brush with writer's block, in which I was like stuck in situation in my novel. How to resolve that? But that didn't stay longer than few minutes or in rare cases few days. I always tend to think about the problem at the point in which I feel my story's stuck. The thought is registered in your brain and sooner or later, your sub-conscious brain would have the answer.

Well, it happens in my case. A very useful but hard way is to believe in your characters as if they are real and that is their real story. After all, a novel even if it's fantasy is all about what your main character do and deal with, how his/her relationship changes, how the world is becoming around her/him, So, that's the key -- Characters.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:58 am
AlfredSymon says...

If you're into solving your problems without standing from your desk, then try to outline your work from the beginning. You needn't write every detail, just the skeletal parts, the parts that are important and key elements of the plot. Whenever you're having a Writer's Block on on part of the story, you can take a look at your list and voila! You can move on.

If you're into physical action, try moving! Yes. Strange as it seems, movement pumps more blood to your brain, enabling you to think better. Also, try traveling to different places, even just traversing the darkest corners of Wal-Mart would do. Every turn and step, everything you hear may be a basis for the next part of your story. Plus, clean air is positively helpful to your health!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 pm
Epicdonkalous says...

I break a writer's law (according to Sol) -I write about writer's block. Now, you probably think "Well if you can't write whatever you were working on, how do you write something new?" - considering your problem is ideas, not necessarily the words, I think this could help. Take for example, I have been working on a horror story. Lovely writer's block hit me. Frustrated, I just wrote a bunch of words into a poem format, and reading back, I saw words, lines, and phrases I liked, which inspired me to start writing again. The story and the poem are completely unrelated, not the same topic, not the same genre - completely separate. I found that forcing my self to scrap write a bunch of nonsense helps me regain a nice flow towards words, thus unblocking my mojo. In my gibberish, I somehow gained new ideas.

Hope this helps!
~Epic
"... syphon the white from my heart, lick the wine from my lips and enjoy the deconstruction of me"

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu May 02, 2013 3:33 am
EnchantedPanda says...

My way to get past writers block is, ironically, to just write. This may sound like ridiculous advice but it works incredibly well. You probably feel as though you cannot write. But of course you are physically capable of producing words on a paper in a sequence that makes sense. Meaning you can technically write.

Don't worry about if what you're writing sounds good, or interesting just write. Don't edit what you're writing or try and make it sound effective. Simply sit down and spit out as much as you can onto paper. You'll find it hard. You'll want to quit. But just keep pushing forward and you will get at least something down.

If you need a bit more motivation than make a deal with yourself. Say to yourself "I am not leaving this chair/room/house until I write at least 300 words", for example. Your goal could be less or more than that depending on how driven you are to get past your writers block. It doesn't really matter. Just as long as your write something. Often it's just breaking past the barriers of thinking you have writers block, that enables you to write again.

I can't promise that this will always work, but this is how I get past my writers block and I hope it helps you as well.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun May 26, 2013 7:26 pm
MRHILL92 says...

Writer's block sucks, but as EnchantedPanda said, "just write." Even if what you write is horrible, just write it. You'll come up with something better later. Or, you can edit what you wrote later.

Reviews: 1
Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:38 pm
NotaDayperson says...

Make sure you finish any books you're reading. I tend to get a very heavy case of writers block when I have books to read, so I suggest to you to finish the book or books then see if the creative ideas start to flow again.
~Weird is good.

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 pm
StoneHeart says...

My way past writers block is just pacing and writing. If you don't wanna right then just get a good playlist and sit down and let things flow.

Force may be used.

XD it works.
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina