z

Young Writers Society

Whatever Happened To...

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:27 am
electricbluemonkey says...

...Dav Pilkey?

I was opening up some boxes filled with my old children's books today and found, 'The Adventures Of Captain Underpants' (1997) and 'Captain Underpants And The Attack Of The Talking Toilets' (1999).

When I was a young'un, everyone at my elementary school had these books. There was hype everywhere about when the next one would come out. I remember seeing dozens of commercials about my favorite briefs-clad hero.

So, I sat down and finished both of them in a few minutes, catching the occasional 70's references here and there. I enjoyed them, although the 'poo jokes' (phrase by Hank Hill) got annoying. But that's why El Capitan sold; kids love those kinds of jokes.

I also found an old, worn out 'Dogzilla' (1993), which rivals Shakespearean literature in my book. Okay, maybe not, but it was pretty entertaining to my 6 and 16 year old mind.

So, where are you, Mr. Pilkey?
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:41 am
Nate says...

Ugh... Captain Underpants. I was too old for them when they came out, but at least they got my two younger brothers to read. I remember it being immensely popular in the elementary school I used to help out at (only a year ago). It does strike me as kind of strange that he didn't write any follow-ups; the first ones seemed to have sold really well.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:23 am
Sam says...

Oh, I LOVED Captain Underpants!

..granted, I was in perhaps first grade when they came out. But I read each one incessantly- probably what started me out reading, along with Harry Potter.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:28 am
Wiggy says...

I never got into it, but there was this one guy in my class, Robert, who was utterly OBSESSED with them. This was in 4th grade. Ugh...bad memories...lol
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:35 am
Areida says...

I never did own any of them, but once when I was at my cousin's house I read one of his and was really embarrassed that I thought any of it was funny at all. I think it was one of those "I'm so mature" phases. :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:57 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha! I loved Captain Underpants! I mean... I was drawing my own crazy cartoons then, complete with inane story plots, and the fact that he could do it too -- and get money for it -- was very influential. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:10 am
Doctor Kitty says...

One day I went back and read Captain Underpants, and I actually understood some of the references. Like Cher and whatnot.

Then I threw them all away.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:37 pm
Cassandra says...

Ugh. Those were so big in elementary school. I never really read them, but I did like that one where you could find out your alternate name or something. I was Buttercup Bubble Sniffer or something equallly stupid. XD
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:09 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

I was Lumpy Wafflechunks if I remember correctly...

Oh. Wow.

Captain Underpants may have inspired my name.

WTF 0.0

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:20 pm
Snoink says...

I think my last name was Burger Buns... that always made me sad. I mean... I could have had something crazy and...! *sobs*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin