Young Writers Society

they're all too character-driven

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 pm
AylaStarr says...

All my stories.
And sometimes it works well.
But most of the time, I'll mentally change something, and then be like, "...wait, now what?"
Any tips?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm
Kale says...

Have you tried outlining?
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 pm
AlfredSymon says...

I think that a character-driven story is fine because centering on the characters can inflict plots to which readers can relate. If it doesn't work sometimes, try to see the character you're centering on; he might not be the best character or lacks some qualities to be a central one.

On changing a lot? Try to jot down everything first. Write your possible choices from where to continue next on the story, then write what happens next to each of them. With it, you can see what choice is more plausible and more effective instead of just writing what appears in mind and grope in the dark.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:28 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Never complain that your stories are too character driven. And when you're stuck simply kill a character or introduce a new one.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 pm
View Likes
Supermeggs12 says...

There's nothing wrong with a character driven novel, and in my experience they actually turn out good ( ie, Pride and Prejudice). However, it's also great if a novel has a great balance of plot drive, and character drive.

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:11 am
Cailey says...

So, with my latest novel, I let the characters write the first draft. It was completely character driven at first, I saw the characters, wrote background stories for each of them, found their personality and appearance and all their likes and dislikes and strengths and weaknesses.
Then, I let the plot form according to the characters. However, for the first draft I let the characters tell their own story.
The catch, it doesn't end with the first draft. Now my challenge it to edit, edit, edit. Now, instead of focusing on the characters, I'm making them stand in the corner and shut up. For the second draft, I look at the plot and change the original story to make a good plot. Then I can look back at the whole picture and see how setting fits in and how the three parts all fit together.
However, my advice,
if the characters want to write their own story, let them. Then go back and edit until your plot works as well.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality