z

Young Writers Society

Writing as an object?

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm
IcyFlame says...

For a piece of my English coursework we need to write a short story that relates to our selected books. I don't want to write as a previously created character so I thought I'd write from the perspective of the snow (but possibly still in third person narrative) during an avalanche that kills quite a few of the people.
Has anyone got any tips on how I'd go about this?

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 pm
crossroads says...

That sounds interesting ^^
I like experimenting with POVs, and I think your snow idea could turn up pretty awesome.

See, you just need to watch not to write too humanly, or if you do - give a reason why. It can be that it's been observing the mankind so therefore understand the way they think and act, but still I think it should have something that makes it obvious it's not a human from the very beginning (even if that's not mentioned).
You don't have to make it unemotional, though.. You can make it be literally any way you wish, because, well.. who knows?

I know I didn't say much. But I had to comment because I like the fact someone else thought of it ^_^
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:33 pm
wordsandwishes says...

To start, I'd like to say that I really like your idea! I think it would make for an interesting read. But I know that writing this way can seem a bit complicated. So here are some suggestions:

1. Since snow is an inanimate object, it may be difficult for readers to connect and stay engaged. So my suggestion is to give it a past, maybe something about it falling from the heavens only to fall yet again.

2. Snow doesn't have much of a brain. So it would probably be more realistic if you made the snow seem confused about some of the things other characters in the story are doing.

3. You may wish to make it clear to the reader that this is being told from the snow's perspective early on. Otherwise it may lead to some confusion.

Hope this helps!

w&w

Perfect kindness acts without thinking of kindness.
— Lao Tse