z

Young Writers Society

Why You Should Share Your Outlines with Others

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:59 pm
View Likes
Paracosm says...

I am writing a thriller novel about a woman living in a small town. The small town is ran by a cult, and she is investigating crimes dating back as far as the 1950s. None of this is important. What's important is, thrillers need killer outlines, and mine, quite frankly, was not killer.

So I asked the incredibly awesome Rosey Unicorn to look at it.

She pointed out everything I failed to notice because...

My main character is pregnant, I'm a sixteen year old guy, so childbirth is not a familiar topic.

I had like ten thousand inconsistencies.

And I wound up completely forgetting I shot a character.

This is why it's important to bring fresh eyes into your outline! Make sure it's someone you trust, and not some weird stranger who doesn't really care. Don't forget that outlines should have drafts too!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:57 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

Good thing she looked at it! I'll definitely take that tip and show it to someone. Thanks for that, Shino!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:30 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You can also stick outlines in Writers Corner for revision, if nobody is on hand.

Also, I get my outlines ripped to shreds, too. :P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh