z

Young Writers Society

Help in translations for novels/ short stories

Reviews: 3
Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:44 am
Mimiko says...

We all know that most stories have mixed languages in them. Mostly in the fantasy genre.

So this is a place to ask tips for things needed to be translated.

Right what language it originates and right the language you wish to change it to. Then type the phrase/ line below it

Example:

English-Filipino
I love you.

Then I (or anyone else who wishes to help) will reply like this

English:
I love you.

Filipino:
Mahal kita.

Now, those who do know the language a person wishes to be translated to can help out as well, I don't know all languages. Just 5: English, Filipino, Japanese, Spanish and Latin.

If the language you want isn't there, feel free to post it. Some one else may know the right words.

Rules:

> NO GIVING FALSE TRANSLATIONS TO MAKE SOMEONE LOOK IDIOTIC!

> NO USING GOOGLE TRANSLATE!

(slide topic)
It is idiotic. If you type in "Ran over by a truck" the right thing is "nasagasaan ng trak" but it merely said "tumakbo muli sa pamamagitan ng trak" which directly translates to "Run again with the use of a truck."

._.

Well, That's pretty much it!
"that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed" - Jace Wayland.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 am
Alvarin says...

If anyone needs translations to or from Swedish and/or Norwegian I'd be glad to help :)
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:02 pm
Segreto says...

Hey, If you need Italian I'll be happy to help!
Cats will take over the world! Run, save yourselves!

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 pm
Zontafer says...

I can also translate to norwegian if needed!
"If you're going through hell, keep going."
- Winston Churchill

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 pm
mephistophelesangel says...

I could translate to korean. I'm nearly fluent in it.

Can anybody tell me what 'goodbye' is in Chinese and Japanese (or one of them)?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:22 pm
Rosendorn says...

@mephistophelesangel
I ran that question by a friend of mine who knows Japanese, and they need more context! There are dozens of ways to say goodbye in the language and they depend on a lot of factors, including: age of the people, rank of them (if one's higher ranking o not), whether it's formal or informal, the relationship between the people (siblings, parents to children, lovers, close friends, acquaintances), situational context (rushed or slow and deliberate), genders, whether or not they'll see each other again, and basically anything else about the whole context you can give!

Btw, this sort of information is required for any language! Translation isn't so simple as one word equals another, and just like how in English you can use a bunch of different words for different contexts ("goodbye" can be either goodbye, bye, see you (soon), thank you for your time... the list goes on), other languages are the same. French, for example, has "au revoir" (I'll see you again), "adieu" (forever goodbye; literal translation is "at God"), and "salut" (informal hello/goodbye; not sure of literal translation) off the top of my head. I'm not completely fluent, so there could be more.

So, when dealing with trying to translate one word into another, context is important! You could end up with a lot of mistranslations otherwise.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:33 pm
mephistophelesangel says...

@Rosey%20Unicorn

Oh, god, thank you!

So, I wanted a translation to Chinese/Japanese for goodbye.

Goodbye, as in, forever goodbye; lost to death; in mourning, sending a friend away. This is being said to a friend, and is formal.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

Thanks for the context!

My friend took a stab at it (they aren't a native speaker, so it was a little tricky). The best they can offer is either "sayonara" which is a formal long term goodbye, or there is "gomeifuku wo inorimasu" which is literally translated to "I pray for your happiness in the next world" and is akin to rest in peace.

They did provide a resource, however you must be very specific in what you're looking for. Bonus: it has native speakers of Japanese. Click!

Ideally, you'll want somebody who has attended a funeral in Japan and/or is a native speaker to get the best possible translation. My friend provided a base for research, but nothing replaces a native speaker!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles