z

Young Writers Society

Publishing Tips?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:05 pm
JayShay says...

*sigh* I didn't come here for this but I have to say something... I need help finding a literary agent/publisher... I wrote my first book two years ago and ever since I have edited it, reviewed it, and got it self-published. But I am not getting anywhere with self-publishing... So I need help. I have a feeling the first agent rejected me for my age as I had mentioned it in my letter to her. I know how to write a query letter but I need as much help as I can get... Whether your advice is finding an agent/publisher or getting my books more popular in the self-publishing world, I will take in everything and listen to anything you have to say. Thanks for reading, everyone. Keep on writing.
~~Never let the flame of the written word die out~~
Anyone who writes can make a book. It takes a true Writer to bind an entire world to the page.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 am
Tenyo says...

The publishing industry can be quite discriminative against age, so leave it out where you can. 35 - 65 is the best age. Teenagers change who they are too much, young adults go travelling, or settle down and have families. These are things that are likely to disrupt your style or cause you to stop writing all together, and agents want someone who is in it for the long run.

On that, have you written any books since? It would help, a lot. If you can show the agent that you are committed and you know what you're doing they'll take you more seriously. In 2012 having your own facebook, twitter, and all that jazz under your pen name may not help *much* in the initial stages, having something like that running and building up a light fanbase (even if it's just ywsers) will look good too.

Self publishing is even harder than it used to be because there are so many people doing it.

Overall remember, Stephen King's Carrie was rejected 30 times before it got published. Gone with the wind was rejected 38 times. I heard somewhere that JKRowling only got picked up because the daughter of a member of the agency she sent it to begged him to publish it.
We were born to be amazing.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:26 pm
JayShay says...

Tenyo wrote:The publishing industry can be quite discriminative against age, so leave it out where you can. 35 - 65 is the best age. Teenagers change who they are too much, young adults go travelling, or settle down and have families. These are things that are likely to disrupt your style or cause you to stop writing all together, and agents want someone who is in it for the long run.

On that, have you written any books since? It would help, a lot. If you can show the agent that you are committed and you know what you're doing they'll take you more seriously. In 2012 having your own facebook, twitter, and all that jazz under your pen name may not help *much* in the initial stages, having something like that running and building up a light fanbase (even if it's just ywsers) will look good too.

Self publishing is even harder than it used to be because there are so many people doing it.

Overall remember, Stephen King's Carrie was rejected 30 times before it got published. Gone with the wind was rejected 38 times. I heard somewhere that JKRowling only got picked up because the daughter of a member of the agency she sent it to begged him to publish it.

Thanx Tenyo, I shall keep that in mind lol, I will leave out my age in the letters from here on out. I'll just keep trying XD
~~Never let the flame of the written word die out~~
Anyone who writes can make a book. It takes a true Writer to bind an entire world to the page.

"He looks like a turtle who's been through the Vietnam war."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi