Young Writers Society

A problem I have with characters

25 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 25
Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 am
View Likes
Gringoamericano says...

This is something I've been noticing in the very small amount of stories I write.

I don't really know how to describe it....I often come up with these plots, concepts, and worlds that I find intriguing. I take a long amount of time trying to figure out a conflict, but when it comes to actually writing it down, I find the main thing that detracts from these stories are the characters. They seem....I don't know how to put it. They're under-developed, or they have weak personalities....I don't really know how to describe it. One person said that they're merely pawns of the plot, and I think that describes it perfectly. I often try to make use of a snarky third person narrator who never shuts up as a way to draw attention away from the characters, but I can't keep this up forever. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to break out of this?
"Can't break an omelette without making a few eggs"

From the ashes of the old YWS Chat; it's the Unofficial YWS Discord server. Come join us!: https://discordapp.com/invite/UhSr7uW

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 am
Rosendorn says...

First, stop considering "plot" and "characters" separately. Plot is shaped by the characters, because they are the ones who end up acting on the spark of conflict. You must consider how they would react to the initial spark and build the rest of your plot around the character themselves.

That tends to be the start of making stories character-focused. You must consider that people do not always react the way authors want them to. Start asking them what they would do, or, at least, know enough about the characters you could create a very educated guess.

The thing to remember is: stories are not about conflict. They are about a character's reaction to conflict.

People are interested in reading proactive characters. What that means is, they want to read about how a character takes control of the situation, does their own thing with what they've been given. Rooting for them working is what you're after. While you can set them up for the initial conflict, and that can be a reaction, eventually the character must take action.

Figure out where they stand on the issues they face. How would they react to the first spark of conflict? Where do they fit in the broad conflict? Their opinions of it? Start figuring out the conflict from the character's perspective, and you'll be well on your way.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Uh, Lisa, the whole reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time. Just like that rainforest scare a few years back: our officials saw there was a problem and they fixed it, didn't they?
— Homer Simpson