z

Young Writers Society

"The Snowflake Method"

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm
View Likes
matthewmazer says...

Some of you guys may or may not know of this but there is something called "The Snowflake Method." The guy who created this method has written many books, and so have others, and these books have been published. You'll have to google (use any link but the first, its broken). The entire program i think is only $50, but I never bought it. I use a spinoff (I call it the Mazer Method). All I do is use excel to organize my thoughts.

One of the spreadsheets I've labeled OVERVIEW, this is all of the "acts" in my book along with a one sentence and a paragraph summary. SS2 is Military Info (the storys a military sci-fi). SS3 is Weapons and Items, while SS4 is characters. Ive found that Excel makes everything easier, and more organized looking. I enjoy, you might too
We've all been sorry. We've all been hurt. How we survive is what makes us who we are.
{20150529)

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:31 pm
Tenyo says...

The Snowflake Method is one of those things that has been around for a long, long time before someone decided to name it so and stretch and patent it. Like the Hero's Journey there are different variations that are all pretty much the same thing, so you can probably find similar guides all over the place.

Interesting way to use Excel though, that's pretty cool! Personally I suck at excel. I usually scribble on spider diagrams and when I reach the edge of the page I move onto another and mark a number so I end up with an index similar to a map book.

The Snowflake Method is a fantastic way to write a book. I know it's not for everyone, but it's a really good way to stay focused on what needs to be done and not skip over the important parts, and also it's much harder to run out of steam.

I'll give this a try and see how it works. Wish me luck XD

Also! Since you seem to know more than me: my current plot involves my characters being in different places at different times and sometimes I forget where I left them. Can Excel help me organise that?
We were born to be amazing.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:40 am
View Likes
matthewmazer says...

With Snowflake I dont know, but if I remember right you can go so far as to do chapter by chapter plots. In my excel (I've found it very useful) I've got the story divided into different acts. I've done works in the past where I'll leave a character here and switch to another one, and in that case I've alway written down where/when/how the chapter turns "perspective". I'll write another few chapters and make sure that if I switch back, I pick up at/near where I left off
We've all been sorry. We've all been hurt. How we survive is what makes us who we are.
{20150529)

"The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening