z

Young Writers Society

Brain-mapping, but for writers.

Reviews: 4
Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm
View Likes
Vanz says...

Recently I found myself in an ocean of notes about a story I'm writing. This actually has grown to a point that I could start a Wiki.

As you all might have experienced is that keeping track of your notes and what they relate to in the story or other notes can become quite the chaotic mess. Because when A leads to B leads to XY-IIIVV and that eventually has an impact on C again. Well... It gets messy because at a certain point you'll never remember if you had all notes that related to that bit of text you just wrote.

So I looked for a brain-mapping program to no avail. Simply because most (if not all) merely have room for a few words before heading off to the next point.
Now I've been talking with a friend of mine and he is willing to help me (and it's not just for me trust me on that one ;) ) out. Yet, I can't possibly know everything in advance as to what basic features would be needed and preferred.

So far I've made this paint image about what it should look like:
A: This is supposed to be the category box, it explains itself.

B: Needless to say, this is the point where you can edit, read and make notes.

C: Shows the first 10% of any other note that corresponds, for example the category or the content that is in the note you are currently viewing, but also happens to apply to a different category than this particular one.

With the program you would be able to (eventually, not at first) import a word .doc a .txt and even .odf (Openoffice format.). You would be able to set-up links between notes and store them under the proper category.

Example:
Category: Creatures.
-Random creature that attacks with spewing blood causing an infection to the target.

This would basically also apply to the Category: Infection.
-Symptoms: abscesses etc.

You would be able to link the 2 notes to gather, yet keep them separate and avoid double notations.

If anybody has more ideas (or can tell if this already exists in such fashion) feel free to leave a reply with your 2-cents.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:10 pm
Kadie says...

Have you heard of Microsoft OneNote? I used to have it on my old computer (not anymore :( ) and i found that it was really good for planning stories :)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/redir ... 37684.aspx

Reviews: 4
Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:39 pm
Vanz says...

Ah, did I mention I run linux? xD

I did fiddle with it though and I'd have to say that it just doesn't get the job done for me =[.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:37 pm
BenjaminMichael says...

I've never been much for planing out my stories, but if something like this existed I would absolutely give it a try.

Good luck.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 pm
crossroads says...

It sounds interesting, I must say ^^ 
Do you think there may exist a version for Mac? *grin*

Actually, I don't plan my stories much either. But when the characters have children and mentioned ancestors, they all start demanding explanations and stories for themselves, and then if I have a peculiar Game going on for centuries and suddenly a person pops out, saying he can control time and it would be sooo nice to be in the series... you get it where I'm going with this :D

I think, also, that it may be a good thing if there was an option to import a photo as well ^^ Sometimes, some writers may need to see a sketch/image of a character/scene/object they are talking about :)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Oh, I'm sorry. My friends are in the popcorn and I have to save them.
— Tori Hansen, Power Rangers Ninja Storm