z

Young Writers Society

Need help! Short stories plot!

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:38 pm
ImHero says...

Hey I need help with generating plot. Do you usually think of a plot first or just start writing? I'm kinda a perfectionist with writing so all my plots I throw out and my short stories are starting to reflect that. Here is my first short story:
work.php?id=96577

I believe this plot lacks creativity, does anyone know how to overcome my block to writing short stories. What do you do when you write your short stories. Are there brainstorming tips or anything that can help me? I want to improve drastically by the end of the year. Thanks.

I will forever be your hero YWS :)
new profile: profile.php?u=36729

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:48 pm
View Likes
prolixity says...

I quickly read your short story and I don't think it lacks creativity. It has some other issues, and maybe I can get around to reviewing it later.

I don't think anyone should have to worry about the creativeness of their plots. By "creative," I assume you mean the opposite of clichéd. And cliché isn't really a plot problem. We've been telling the same stories for thousands of years, and that's okay. It's the way we tell them that has to be original or creative.

As for writing short stories in general, the best advice I can give you is to read lots of them. Read the classic, English-class staples and then read whatever interests you. Pay attention to what the author is doing in each story. Find the protagonist, the conflict, and the resolution. Notice imagery and symbolism. See how the description not only sets the scene, but shows (not tells) us about characters and their world. Try to imagine being that author and writing that story. And then write your own. c:

Coming up with short story ideas is all about collecting ingredients. At the bare minimum, you need a protagonist, what they want, and something/someone that stands in the way of what they want. Then there are other little optional bits, like other characters, characterization, description, symbolism, names, a title. You also have to decide what point-of-view to narrate from, and develop a voice and style for that narration.

One of the most important ingredients is a message. But "message" is the wrong word, because you don't want your story to have a moral like fairy tales, or a thesis like a paper. "Truth" is a better word. You want your story to carry one truth you have learned. This could be as large as "Life sucks, but it's still worth living," or as small as "My grandma was a hard worker." Or something like "War sucks," because that's what you have in the story you linked.

Another thing: they weren't kidding about "write what you know." That's where your truths come from. Find inspiration in your family, your friends, strangers, yourself. Your hometown or a place you visited. And this totally applies if you write fantasy or sci-fi, too. All writing is about people of some kind. Give your characters your uncle's funny nose, or your mother's favorite sayings, or your brother's bad habits.

Lastly, the only way to get better at writing is to write. c:

Well, that was long, haha. And hopefully somewhat helpful...?
She reflected. "I prefer stories about squalor."
"About what?" I said, leaning forward.
"Squalor. I'm extremely interested in squalor."

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:15 am
ImHero says...

Yeah, pretty helpful :) THanks
new profile: profile.php?u=36729

True belonging doesn’t require you to change who you are, it requires you to be who you are.
— Brené Brown