z

Young Writers Society

Can't keep my Inspiration

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:39 am
Jalmoc says...

Hey everyone. I've been trying to write lately, and I can only write when I have inspiration. The problem is, my inspiration only lasts in very short amounts of time. Maybe twenty minutes tops, and then I'm not inspired until the next day or so. It makes writing really frustrating for me. If you have any advice or tips, that would be amazing. :)
If you don't take a chance, you'll always live your life in regret, so let your heart show it's true colors and admit your feelings!

Tis not the blade that took your life, but the Assassin behind it.

When Reality has all but fallen away, recreate your own world

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:08 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Make writing a habit. Stop caring about whether what you write is good enough as you write it; that's what editing is for.

Just write. Lack of inspiration is such a lame excuse to not write at all, unless you're writing purely for fun.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:50 pm
RacheDrache says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ResTHKVxf4
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

Reviews: 4
Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 am
yllufituaebroken says...

Kyllorac is right. If you are writing simply for the fun of it, then there is no need to stress. Find what inspires you then immerse yourself in that. For me, a lot of the time, its music but it can be a movie or photographs or even a type of food. Whatever it is, know it and surround yourself with it.
On the other hand, if you are writing in a more serious setting, I once found a piece of advice that read something along the lines of "If you wait for inspiration to come, thing will ever get done." or something like that. The point being that only those who are serious about writing must write even when nothing is speaking to them. As a writer, you will find that some days, you must write a lot of junk in order to get even one good sentence in. It's frustrating, but I live by the artistic principle that as long as you are doing something, something is getting done.
To state it more bluntly, only amateurs wait for inspiration.
"In the city lights, that's where you'll find
a beautiful soul and a broken mind."

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:39 am
BenFranks says...

The best way to write lots, as Ky suggests, would be to set-up a blog. You can do that on YWS itself or an independent site such as Wordpress (there's many others).

If you then tell yourself to post at least something - anything - every day, your ability to write will come more naturally. Then all you need is a good idea and you're away...

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:29 pm
MillarS says...

If it's just short bursts like that, make sure you keep a notepad with, just a pocket-sized one, and quickly jot down ideas and inspiration. Like many have said before, set up a blog. Quick and simple.

Other ways of finding inspiration could do with every day life, like watching the news and putting it into your own scenario. Another way is to picture the scene, plot and character(s) of a book as you read. There are really good sites for inspiration, but how you choose to take it down is up to you.

Hope this helped!

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous