z

Young Writers Society

Help with naming a book...?

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:42 pm
artsy says...

I'm working on a project of writing a novel, but I don't really know what to call it.

It's one of those "fantasy meshed with reality" kind of books. With the human world, and faeries, werewolves, dragons, mermaids, elves, vampires, etc. invisible to the naked eye except for a select few. The select few have a special power along with this Sight. I.E. One of the main characters is very intuitive with people and can remember occult things, such as every detail of palmistry, the paranormal, astrology, tarots, numerology, etc. The other than control light - bend its path, change its spectrum wave-length, etc.

I'll include the overall plot if it makes it any easier.

A group of rogue magicians (witches and warlocks) plan to overthrow The Administration, the government for this alternate world. They oversee that this world and the Human world don't mix to protect the humans. They want to overthrow The Administration because they have been outlawing Black Magic, which is what Magicians (term used for the bad guys of Conjurers) can only derive their magic from. They have no pity for the human world, and their plan - once they overthrow the Administration - is to wipe out the human population all over the world and make the only race on this planet that is of the human anatomy Conjurers.

The main characters are brother and sister - Erika and Raymond Dale. Erika is the light bender and Raymond is the one with occult knowledge. They don't know of their powers until some Sorcerers ( magicians working for the Administration, the good guys) basically kidnaps them from school (both are sophomores) and take them to a nearby Hotel and lays the entire plan down and basically information-overloads them with this new world and their powers.

They have a team of Sorcerers go from Sterling Heights, Michigan (their current location) to two major known Magician camps to try and extract more information about their plan. The team divides into two; one goes to New York, location of The Administration, and one goes to the two camps. Erika and Raymond are separated into different teams and have their fair share of troubles along the way. So, a majority of the book will be about travel, in either points of view.

There will be a lot of run ins with the supernatural creatures I mentioned above by both, and there are species wars going on. Kind of like Civil Wars; that's really the only way I can describe that.

So, with the information above that might as well resemble a novel, can anyone help me decide on a name that not only reflects the parallel world, but also the goal to keep order, the civil wars, the exotic element in this as well? That's a lot to ask, but this is the first time I'm NOT able to name one of my works, and it's bugging me. Any amount of help is welcome!
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:51 pm
Rosendorn says...

This article might be of use.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:20 am
artsy says...

Got a name; thank you. :]
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.
— Flannery O'Connor