z

Young Writers Society

Tips for writing a murder

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:41 pm
angelle716 says...

I'm writing an assassin story and I need help with writing the first kill scene. Any tips?
The Beloved, The Monster, The lost

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:53 pm
Rosendorn says...

It'd help if you told us a few things first! Like:

Time period/setting
Type of weapon (daggers, "other" weapon, gun at long or short range...)
Rank and reason why the person is being assassinated
What you're having trouble with

Once you give us a bit more information, it'll help us a lot. :)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:35 am
Paracosm says...

Murder is my expertise! (Writing it anyhow.)

First of all, think of the motive. This is the most important part. Is your assassin doing it out of revenge? Then make it painful. Is he doing it out of a sense of justice? Quick and clean. Was it spur of the moment? Death by falling over is a good one here, or a quick bash in the head. Never under estimate poison either. You don't even have to be specific, just say "It was super deadly, and practically untraceable." (Not quite like that of course.)

Capture the killers emotion, and the victims fear. It's pretty twisted, but people feel, and you have to let your readers know how they feel. Another great idea is giving your killer an MO, which means Modus Operandi, which means "Mode of Operation".

Make his MO unique, maybe he does two shots to the chest, or always stabs in the heart, something like that. It's like a trademark. He doesn't even have to have an MO, but for assassins and serial killers, I suggest you use one. I hope this helps you out!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:03 pm
Gheala says...

I came in here to give a tiny tip about crime writing, but Shino here seriously covered it and even helped me out a little. Thanks, Shino
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 pm
View Likes
Love says...

I just wish to note that all murders should be unique. Murder is an art form (in fiction), and should feel, in my opinion, original. Actually, the reaction of the victim can also be very important. After all, it is they who experience the sharp edge of the knife.
I was Amareth :)

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown