z

Young Writers Society

When do I use it's?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:44 am
emilybrodo says...

I have this problem that whenever I come to something owning something, Microsoft says it's wrong.
For example: is it- it's sheath was silver
or - its sheath was silver
I have a feeling it is the first one, but when I type it up in Microsoft the little blue squiggly line appears under 'it's' and corrects it as 'its.'
If it is 'it's' than I may have a lot of mistakes to correct.
Advice on this would be a big help as I am very confused with this issue, I have looked up the meaning of 'it's' and it says 'it is' or 'it has' but I just want to confirm that 'it's' write so I can stop worrying and finally fix some of my mistakes.
Thank you!
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein

The game

Free reviews here

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:23 am
Rosendorn says...

"It's" must make sense as "it is" in the sentence. Because the apostrophe denotes a missing space+i.

"Its" is the same as "his" or "hers" only for objects. It is possessive.

Therefore, the second one is correct. "its [object it is referring to] sheath was silver."

A sentence where "it's" would make sense is: "it's [it is] a silver sheath."

Does that help? :)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:23 am
Lumi says...

It's simple!

It's
Contraction; meaning "It is"; used in a sentence: "It's a blustery day today."

Its
Possessive; meaning "it owns x"; used in a sentence: "I love the sun; its light is refreshing and warm."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:23 am
emilybrodo says...

Thanks guys, that makes so much more sense! I shall make sure I use them correctly and I'll fix all of my mistakes. XD
Oh and thank you for such quick replies!!
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein

The game

Free reviews here

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:25 pm
Love says...

Also keep in mind that although it is important to know these definitions, as writers, we are allowed to slightly bend the rules in the effect's favour. For example, if you are writing about a monster, I think that the proper thing would be to say 'its eyes', but to convey a feeling of abnormality and monstrosity, you might want to convert it to 'it's eyes'. I just hope I'm correct. Might not be the perfect example. But anyway, I believe this might apply in some cases.
I was Amareth :)

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:32 pm
Rosendorn says...

Drak- The principle still stands that the sentence has to make sense with "it is" inserted. That is what the apostrophe translates to, regardless of "bending the rules."

That example does make sense for creepy, though, as it reads as "it is eyes." But something like "it's sword" does not make sense, because it reads as "it is sword." "It's a sword" does make sense.

Bending the rules more applies to sentence structure/fragments instead of small things like that. Small things tend to read like actual errors instead of stylistic choices.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

43 Reviews

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:39 pm
Love says...

Perhaps then I have misinterpreted something... Sorry, what I meant was not 'It is eyes' but 'the eyes of IT', basically IT's eyes. Perhaps that would work more.

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:43 pm
Rosendorn says...

That is what "its" is for. It is the possessive form of "it".

A full (correct) sentence using that example would be "its eyes were silver."

Because "it's" always means a contraction of "it is", "its" means the same as "his" or "hers". And yes, "hers" is grammatically correct. Source.

43 Reviews

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:03 pm
Love says...

I am not sure I understand... You said that it's means 'it is eyes.', but what I am talking about is an alternative to 'its' in a manner more suitable for horror, in which case I would use it's. As I see it, this is basically similar to the contrast the contrast between "something' and "some 'thing'". Am I wrong in this?

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

I believe you are. I've only ever heard one use for "it's": "it is".

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:03 pm
Snoink says...

If you had someone name It, it's reasonable to use an apostrophe, since It is its name. But, it would be super confusing... and why would you want to name something It in the first place? XD

I looked at It and waved. It smiled and waved back. Then It came forward. "Hi, my name is It!" It said.

"I know," I said, looking into It's eyes.

In that case, it would be appropriate! But anything else? Probably not.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
— G.K. Chesterton