z

Young Writers Society

Commonly confused words updated: 7/27

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:15 pm
Meshugenah says...

per request of a rather elusive usergroup. This is a list that I'm starting using my Webster's Dictionary, thus, it will all be Americanized, with some of my own added in. Anyone want to do a British/Australian/Canadian/anything else version? If not, send me the onfo and I'll get it started. More coming! If you have anything you want me to add to this list, email/PM it to me, and I will if it's appropiate.

Accept/except - Accept is a verb meaning "to receive". Except is usually a preposition or a conjuction meaning "other than" or "but for". When except is used as a verb, it means "to leave out".

accidentally/accidently - The correct adverb is accidentally from the root word accidental, not accident.

adoptive/adopted/adapt - adoptive referes to the parent, adopted referes to the child. Adapted (adapt) means "to adjust of modify oneself to different conditions", in a nutshell.

adverse/averse - both words are adjectives, and both mean "opposed" or "hostile". Averse, however, is used to describe a subject's opposition to something (The minister was averse to the new trends developing in the community), whereas adverse describes something opposed to the subject )The adverse comments affected his self-esteem).

affect/effect - Most often, affect is a is a verb, meaning "to influence", and effect is a noun meaning "the result of an action". Affect is also used as a noun in psychology and psychiatry to mean "emotion", while effect is also used as a verb meaning "to bring about".

aggravate/annoy - In informal speech and writing, aggravate can be used as a synonym for annoy. However, in formal discourse the words mean different things and should not be used in this way: Her back condition was aggravated by lifting the heavy child, but the child's crying annoyed her more than the pain.

agree to/agree with - agree to means "to consent to, to accept" (usually a plan or idea). Agree with means "to be in accord with" (usually a person or group).

aisle/isle - Aisle means "a passage way between sections of seats", isle means "island".

all ready/already - All ready, a pronoun and an adjective, means "entirely prepared", already, an adverb, means "so soon" or "previously".

allusion/illusion - an allusion is a reference or hint, an illusion is a deceptive appearance.

a lot/alot/allot - A lot is always written as two words, and is used informally to mean "many". Allot is a verb that means "to divide, to set aside". Alot is not a word.

altogether/all together - Altogether means "co,pletely" or "totally", all together means "all at one time" or "gathered together"

alude/elude - both words are verbs. allude means "to mention breifly or accidently", elude means "to avoid, escape"

altar/alter - Altar is a noun meaning" a sacred place or platform". Alter is a verb meaning "to make different; to change".

amount/number - Amount refers to quantity that cannot be counted. Number, in contrast, refers to things that can be counted. Some concepts, like time, can use either, depending on how the elements are identified in the specific sentence.

ante-/anti- - the prefix ante- means "before": the prefix anti- means against. Anti- takes a hyphen before an "i" or a capital letter.

anxious/eager - Traditionally, anxious means "nervous" or "worried" and consequently describes negative feelings. In addition, it is usually followed by the word "about". Eager means "looking forward" or "anticipating enthusiastically" and consequently describes positive feelings. It is usually followed by "to". Today, however, it is standard usage for anxious to mean "eager".
Last edited by Meshugenah on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:12 pm
Myth says...

I always had trouble with affect and effect. Thanks mini-dictionary :D
.: ₪ :.

'...'

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:40 pm
Misty says...

hahaha thanks. That must've taken work

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:31 pm
Firestarter says...

Because Bek will never update this, I point everydbody to this exceedingly useful page if you're ever confused which word or spelling to use:

http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 85
Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:12 pm
pandoraswritings says...

Another commonly confused word is then/than.
Pandora

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:17 pm
Meshugenah says...

Jack! *exasperated*

Geez. I'd almost forgotton about this, actually... if I ever finish it (or get more than the twenty I have up), I'll sticky it... but I am determined to finish it!

Evenutally.

Crazy Brit.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:21 pm
Ares says...

What's the difference between awhile and a while? I used to know but I forgot...

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:23 pm
Firestarter says...

When “awhile” is spelled as a single word, it is an adverb meaning “for a time” (“stay awhile”); but when “while” is the object of a prepositional phrase, like “Lend me your monkey wrench for a while” the “while” must be separated from the “a.” (But if the preposition “for” were lacking in this sentence, “awhile” could be used in this way: “Lend me your monkey wrench awhile.”)

There ya go.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:44 pm
Ares says...

Thank you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 85
Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:52 pm
pandoraswritings says...

What's the difference between colors and colours?
Pandora

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:16 pm
Firestarter says...

Just different spellings. The British/Australian/New Zealand (maybe Canadian?) spelling is colour, while the American is color.

They both mean the same thing, though.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:02 am
Snoink says...

More words that get confused:

apart / a part

If you are apart from something, you're separated from it.

If you are a part of something, you are within it.

fowl / foul

A fowl is a bird.

Foul is an adjective that describes something disgusting.

...so basically? The next time I hear you talking about fowl language, I am going to assume you are a goose and honk at you.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne