z

Young Writers Society

How to write chapters...

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:57 am
Snoink says...

Okay, I was getting really hung up on this at first. I mean, I had this fabulous idea for a novel, yet it took me months to write a chapter. Why? Mostly because I love editing, perhaps to a scary extent. When I write my story, I edit as I go, and the computer only encourages this. Sad? Yes. But still: What to do???

Well, this week I went on vacation where I thought (wrongly) that I wouldn't have any access to a computer. To continue writing on my story, I took a notebook along and plenty of pencils and erasers. Then, as soon as I had spare time (like an hour block) I wrote.

PRE-NOTES

First thing I did was to write a prenotes thing on every chapter. This includes three things:

SUMMARY

Do a short three sentence summary of your chapter. What happens? What characters are in it?

PURPOSE

At first I didn't do this, but then I realized, if I was just writing nothing, then it would be really bad. What were my intentions in the chapter? This also meant I got to delve into any symbolism I was writing. That way, I could be sure that my writing was somewhat orderly.

WHAT'S HAPPENING?

This is essentially the outline of the summary. Put what happens in chronological order.

The pre-notes was very short... less than a page, typically.

WRITING

Then I wrote. I tried to write without stopping, and I didn't edit. If I felt the incredible urge to edit, I would write in the margins about what I could do. I didn't erase. Instead, if I hated something, I put a line through it and continued as if nothing happened.

Once when I was writing chapter 14, I messed up really bad. I mean, hideously bad. So as soon I realized what I was doing, I put a large "STOP!" where the story left off, briefly told myself what sucked, and then restarted.

On the whole, I wrote without stopping though. A typical chapter took about two hours to write (by hand).

POST-NOTES

Once I finished the chapter, I reread it and looked for obvious errors, marking it either by a line underneath the guilty word or a note in the margin. Then I wrote a post notes thing for the story.

A post notes is basically what a critique is for YWS. I wrote what I liked about it, what I hated, and then I tried to brainstorm ideas about how I could fix the criminal errors. Some of my ideas were horrible, but since I wrote it down, it crystalized the problems in my brain and I was able to think of better ideas on the 14-hour car ride home.

So...

What I found out from this experiment is that if I don't edit constantly, I can come up with some pretty sweet stuff. I can focus on one chapter at a time without missing out on the entire story, which is very important to me. Furthermore, I wrote THREE chapters in four days, which is more chapters than I usually churn out in a month! I will not lie... one of the chapters was absolutely terrible, but by doing the notes before and after like I did, I was able to diagnose it.

All in all, the experiment worked and I am definitely pleased with the results. Will I do this again? Definitely.

Happy writing!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:07 am
Duskglimmer says...

Whoa. That seems like a good plan and three chapters in four days is certainly impressive.

I think I'll try this with my next chapter since it seems to be giving my so many issues. *glares at characters and blank pieces of paper* We'll see how it works.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:14 am
Black Ghost says...

Snoink, those are some good tips. TIME TO WRITE MORE CHAPTERS!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:31 am
Snoink says...

Duskglimmer wrote:Whoa. That seems like a good plan and three chapters in four days is certainly impressive.

I think I'll try this with my next chapter since it seems to be giving my so many issues. *glares at characters and blank pieces of paper* We'll see how it works.

Hahaha... that happened to me with chapter 14, which is one of the chapters I wrote like this. That was the one where I had to stop and start over.

When a chapter gives you issues like that, and you think it's because of the characters, then usually you're being too much of a puppeteer. For instance, in chapter 14, I was trying to make my manly character a small little wimp, which did not work AT ALL. And then... *shudders*

The best thing to do is step back, especially if the characters aren't giving you input or they're giving you too much input.

But really, good luck! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:24 am
Crysi says...

Snoinky m'dear, I love you. I've been saying that to a lot of people lately, haven't I?

Anyway, because I'm still in the process of rewriting my story (GEEZ, I'm not even past the first chapter! I hate feeling like I'm so behind on my novel compared to everyone else, especially because I started the idea 9 years ago), you've given me a lot of really good ideas. I think I get stuck with writer's block every once in a while because my inner editor is trying to fix every miniscule thing. I also really like the idea of prenotes. I tried doing that once, but I planned out several chapters in advance and never wrote a purpose for any of them. Since I desperately need to work on my prologue and I still have time to implement the new system, I think I'll steal your little idea, lol. It sounds great! :D
Love and Light

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:36 am
Boni_Bee says...

Wow, that is a great idea Snoink! :D I'll definatly try it out!

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:06 am
Myth says...

Thanks Snoink! I'll try this will one of my novels which at the moment is going nowhere.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:06 pm
Fishr says...

Thanks Snoink! Good advice for sure.

I've tried this a couple of times but... It never really works out to my specifications, lol. Why? My characters in Bound seem to have a mind of their own but still... this is a great idea!!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:10 pm
Stevie says...

Man I wish I had this when I was working on chapter five...
Writers will happen in the best of families. - Rita Mae Brown

The Kingdom beyond Reality
weblog_entry.php?POST_ENTRY_URL=13961

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:31 pm
hprules13 says...

I'll definitely use this for future chapters. I have trouble sticking to the main idea without adding useless detail. Hopefully that problem will cease with these tips.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon May 01, 2006 6:19 am
dele24 says...

Yeah, thanks a lot Snoink, I so plan to use these when I write the next chapters of my novel, I think they will help me get the issues clearly in mind. Great Tips :) \:D/

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon May 01, 2006 7:03 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Oh. I meant to come back here a few days ago to say thank you, Snoink. This has helped a lot in getting the last few chapters written.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon May 01, 2006 7:16 pm
Dream Deep says...

I've tried this, too, and it really does work wonders. The problem is getting myself disciplined enough to shut up, sit down, and write the stupid thing out.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon May 01, 2006 7:42 pm
Cassandra says...

This is really good advice and I definitely need to try this. I've been...avoiding...my novel for th last couple of weeks, and I really need to get going. I figure I'll try this out. Thanks!
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue May 02, 2006 3:05 pm
Firestarter says...

Awesome. I'm gonna use this to kickstart my novel again ...
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Percy fell face-first into his pizza.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena