z

Young Writers Society

Too many Ideas...

Reviews: 1
Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:04 pm
mvb627 says...

So I was wondering what people do when they have so many ideas, they can't focus on one. I have that problem and was wondering, What should I do???
:smt064

Please help me!!
Kirby is my friend!

(o.o) <----- Raccoon is watching you.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 pm
Rosendorn says...

For me, I pick one story I want to work on and focus on that one story. If I get another idea, I write it all out until I've gotten it out of my system, then go back to the original story. Sometimes, when I get bored, I switch stories until I get ideas for another one, but by this point in time I'm so dedicated to the character in my main story I don't switch away from her often (stories on the very long timeline I have in this world, however...).

That's my suggestion, anyway. Write down any other idea you get so you don't lose it, then go back to the first story you were working on.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:14 am
Salem says...

I do the same thing as Rosey Unicorn. I have a section in my documents dedicated to my writing and every time I have a new idea, I open a new folder and write it out. Example: I have an idea about a talking teddy bear, I open a new folder called Talking Teddy Bear and write down any ideas I had.

That way, its all saved in a place I know it won't get tossed out (like a scrap slip of paper), its organized and it'll be there when I need it.

Personally, as far as staying focused goes, I do not as a rule jump from story to story. Since I plan on being a career writer, I'm trying to work on my concentration and persistence. I find it helps by setting a goal, like a certain time you want your story done by. That way you have a reason to stick with the same story until its done.

Just for the record, I have no intentions to write about a talking teddy bear :p

Reviews: 1
Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:34 pm
mvb627 says...

thanks guys. You don't know how much this helps.
Kirby is my friend!

(o.o) <----- Raccoon is watching you.

If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White