z

Young Writers Society

T.K Roxborogh Tips for Writing a Novel

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:34 am
Eniarrol says...

Last year, I went to a writing course with the author T.K Roxborogh. She has written any books, including the series Banquo's Son.
She gave us many tips and I shall share with you some of the tips.

The Basic 3 act Story Structure

Act 1- Beginning/Set-up
Introduce setting, character and situation (object of desire.).
Character is perfectly content with his/her situation and will resist change.
Something will happen to throw the charcter/everything off balance (Plot point 1)

Act 2- Middle Confrontation
Develops the story through a series of complications and obstacles each leading to a mini crisis.
The key to Act 2 is conflict, both internal and external.
The highest moment is the blackest moment for the character. CLIMAX.

Act 3- End Resolution
Tension rapidly dissapates because it's nearly impossible to sustain a readers interest for very long after the climax.
Finish your story and get out.

-Conflict is the key to a great story.

The Two Levels of Scene Structure

1) The large-scale structure of a scene: scenes and sequels.

Scene: 1. Goal- What your character wants (Be specific)
2. Conflict- Series of obstacles
3. Disaster- Failure to let your character to get the goal

Sequel: 1. Reaction- The emotional follow-through to a disaster
2. Dilemma- A situation with no good options
3. Decision- The act of making a choice

2) The small-scale structure of a scene:
Motivation/reaction units
External Internal
Objective Subjective

I hope you enjoyed thhe tips and they help you :)

-SweetMoments
A hero isn’t defined by winning. Loads of heroes die in the effort. Most of them never get any recognition. No, a hero is just somebody who does the right thing when it would be far, far easier to do nothing.

~Previously SweetMoments

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:33 pm
Carlito says...

Hey Sweet Moments thanks for the info! I have a couple of questions though that you can hopefully clarify.

You presented the basic story structure which implies that there are other story structures. Do you learn about more kinds of structures in the workshop? What if your story is really dramatic and there is lots of conflict and lots of small climaxes that lead up to the grand climax and then there are smaller climaxes towards the end? If you know the forms of more kinds of structures you should post those as well! :)

With the scenes, where do informative-type scenes fit in? Like the kinds of scenes that explain what an aspect of a world is like or what someone or some situation is like. Are those small scale scenes? Could you explain the small scale scenes a little more?

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:51 am
Eniarrol says...

I'm sorry Carly, I really don't know! You could try and ask her herself on her blog http://banquosson.blogspot.com/ but apart from that no, sorry.
A hero isn’t defined by winning. Loads of heroes die in the effort. Most of them never get any recognition. No, a hero is just somebody who does the right thing when it would be far, far easier to do nothing.

~Previously SweetMoments

Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.
— Kyle Chandler