z

Young Writers Society

Unfinished stories.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:00 am
telle_04 says...

Sometimes, I can't seem to stick with a specific story. Whenever I'm halfway through something, I'd get this idea, and I'll eventually end up neglecting my current story and start a new one, so my other story sometimes don't get finished.

However, I have two stories (finished, thank you) back in high school, but they are written in a different language (I'm from the Philippines, hello.), so I don't really count them as "finished."

I consider myself as an unpublished author. *sighs* Now I'm worried I won't even finish anything.

Is it normal to act like this? Any ideas so I can stick with what I'm writing right now?

Thanks. :D
You've got the key to my heart..but have you forgotten about a duplicate?
Sorry. I've already given it to someone else.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

We tend to call that Writer's ADD.

Pretty normal, actually. I used to have it really bad and at one point in time was bouncing between... 4/5 novels? I've now been able to stick with one for a good chunk of time.

What I did was write out every detail that came to mind about a new idea, including scenes, outlines, magic systems, anything and everything. Then I put all those details away and went back to my original project. By keeping all the details written down in a safe place, you don't have to worry about forgetting them as you keep working on another project.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

95 Reviews

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:46 am
telle_04 says...

Thanks, Rosey. For a while, I thought I was going insane.

I tried that--keeping journals about sudden ideas and plots. Well, I admit for once it helped. But then, not that much. I mean, yeah, I've kept a journal about something, hid it away, and I ended up looking for that everyday while I'm busy writing something else. Like now, I'm writing (literally writing, with a pen and a notebook) a story in English, and at the same time I'm also writing one in Filipino. Then this idea comes along, and I'm way past my first chapter (another English story). Then there's also this one. *sighs*

Maybe it's partially because I am a good listener. In my circle of friends, I'm the best secret keeper. The shoulder they always cry on. So I know about a lot of stuff. And I end up with more and more ideas. And more and more notebooks. My friends are critical thinkers--they are the ones that suggest the plots in my stories. And I end up listening and listening to them, because they love to talk, TALK, TALK. I feel like I'm a jar that's overflowing with so much things, I don't even know what I am filled with.

(Is it okay to pour my heart out here? Do you mind? :D)

Anyways, I appreciated your comment. I'll try that again--keeping journals. Maybe I just don't know how to manage my time. Hopefully this time I will. Thanks.

-telle.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:07 am
Rosendorn says...

You're completely allowed to talk out plots here. :) The Writers Corner is for talking about your ideas, if you want it a bit more public/a few more people to give you feedback.

And I don't think you're diving into the other idea enough right at the start. I have spent 2 weeks to a month exploring another idea to get it completely out of my head and no details left. Then I go back to my first story and work on it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:48 am
Kale says...

If journaling doesn't work out for you, you might want to try multitasking or cycling through the different ideas.

Personally, I cycle through stories like there's no tomorrow. If I lose interest in one, or another is just screaming for my attention, I'll wait about a week or so before switching, jotting notes down about the screamer all the while. If the week is up and I still am being screamed at by that story/idea, then I'll spend some time working on it until I lose interest/another story starts screaming at me. Repeat ad nauseum.

It's an extremely slow and not-very-prolific process, but it's what works for me, and it keeps me from getting bored with any of my projects.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

95 Reviews

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:16 am
telle_04 says...

I think I know what is possibly wrong with me.

Maybe it's because I pressure myself. My friends are my ultimate motivators and they were like, "Hey, chapter three should be finished by noon tomorrow, okay?" or "Perhaps you can finish two chapters by next week?" And me, being sweet and all, would give in, so I tend to rush things. And one or two would say, "You know, I have this idea." And I'll be okay,"Okay, what is it?" Then she'd tell me about a certain story and I'd end up making one. Then, I'll go back to what I'm currently writing and my friend would say,"What about my story?" And so I'll end up multi-tasking stories. *sighs*

Maybe that's it. I don't know how to manage my time or set my priorities.

But thanks for all the advice and concern. Anyway, I'd like to share that I'm beating a deadline to finish two chapters of my story (Four Little Words..sorry, I haven't posted it here yet) by March 10, which is six days away. That's because it's my close friend's birthday, Mariel, and this story is really my gift to her.

Thanks again for everything, guys. :D

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:50 am
fading-dream says...

Telle, I appreciate what you are doing for your friends, but that's their story and not yours. Don't write other peoples. Tell them to write their own if they want that story told so badly. By using there idea, it can't grow and change or they will think you changed it too much.

You just have to decide to finish the story. Even if you're in the middle and decide not to finish it, give it a quick ending. Stopping in the middle of a story is a terrible idea. Perhaps, if you are getting bored, you need to delete the last, say, chapter of your novel (or page for short story) and take it in a different direction. Throw in a good old plot twist. Kill a major character. Just do something to get through it!
Current Project: Otherworld (Novel) - 11,000 words so far
Latest Story: Overflowing Emotions.
Past stories: Burning Apart, The Beast, Binding Darkness - Ch. 1, What David Taught Me, The Banquette, Mirror of Memories, Leaving Humanity, Little Green Men, Six Days

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Sat May 07, 2011 8:25 am
Jashael says...

It's normal. It actually depends on the character of the author, I think. I have a bunch of unfinished pieces, too. (Got only one completed short story; the novels are all unfinished.) Though I've got one that I'm determined to finish. You know, it's OK to take a break on your story. Sometimes you just need to take a rest with an idea, then you can get back to it to finish it. Sometimes it takes impulse to finish a story! XD

But answering your question:

Any ideas so I can stick with what I'm writing right now?

If you really wanna stick to what you're writing now (I'm not saying it's necessary to accomplish a story; as I said, sometimes you need a break, especially if you're writing a novel), I suggest that you take a notebook everywhere you go. Jot down anything that might be adding to your story. Whether it be a funny incident, or the sky looks unusually beautiful, wherever you you think might be relevant to the story, jot it down. This, I think, will help you stick with the story; always have it in mind. If that's what you think will help you. That's all I've got.

Hope I've helped.

Jash ♥
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue May 17, 2011 7:02 am
Snoink says...

What helps me is I focus on stories that I really, really love. If I don't really love to write it, I put it on the shelf and wait a bit before I pick it up. That way, it can age a bit into something that is better than it is in its initial, sucky state. What can I say? Stories are a bit like a fine wine... and age definitely helps! :)

But yeah. Definitely love what you write! That will make your stories that much more fun, and you'll enjoy writing and won't want to stop for anything. That's the whole point, right? ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:01 pm
Name2533 says...

Dont worry its not bad...your mind just happens to have a load of ideas and they are just spilling out. Great thing is you have a whole bunch of stories. I am currently dealing with writers ADD the only thing is that your reader will get mad because u r neglecting a story ,in their eyes, that is soooo perfect they just understand y u would neglect it the best thing you can do is sit down and write till your hand falls off ha ha just kidding but keep on writing!!

Between living and dreaming there is a third thing. Guess it.
— Antonio Machado