Vocab Exercise

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:35 am
View Likes
Alpha says...

Hey!
This exercise I perform nearly every day. This is what to do:
First write down a list of verbs, nouns, etc., as many as possible on a piece of paper. e.g. said, like, chair, house...

Without looking at the paper, chose a number, and find that number and the word in the list. If, for example, number 19 is the verb "said", write down as many synonymous of 'said' as possible during a certain time, say... three minutes.

When the time is up, open up the thesaurus that -along with your dictionary- should be on the table next to your bed, and look up the word.

Compare it to what you have written, and add other words you've found, too! That way, you refresh your mind by remembering words that might have been hiding in a lost corner in your brain (hey, it happened to me!), and learn new words, too!

I hope this helps you :D !
Cheers,
Alpha
P.S. PM me if you need more explaining!Or for anything else, really.
Last edited by Alpha on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

107 Reviews

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:46 am
Alpha says...

Hello, anyone in YWS?
No one commented.
I'm hurt.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Don't worry about a lack of replies. :) These forums tend to be slow.

That being said, this is a pretty good exercise if you're finding your prose repetitive, description wise. I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to description, and using too many different words isn't really my style. But I did have to do a similar thing when I noticed the repetition in word-use.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:10 pm
View Likes
322sivart says...

I like the idea. Did you think of this, or did you learn it from someone else?
Need reviews?
I'd be happy to give them.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic76104.html

107 Reviews

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:42 am
View Likes
Alpha says...

Alpha wrote:Hey!
This exercise I perform nearly every day. This is what to do:
First write down a list of verbs, nouns, etc., as many as possible on a piece of paper. e.g. said, like, chair, house...

Without looking at the paper, chose a number, and find that number and the word in the list. If, for example, number 19 is the verb "said", write down as many synonymous of 'said' as possible during a certain time, say... three minutes.

When the time is up, open up the thesaurus that -along with your dictionary- should be on the table next to your bed, and look up the word.

Compare it to what you have written, and add other words you've found, too! That way, you refresh your mind by remembering words that might have been hiding in a lost corner in your brain (hey, it happened to me!), and learn new words, too!

I hope this helps you :D !
Cheers,
Maisoon aka Alpha
P.S. PM me if you need more explaining!Or for anything else, really.
322sivart wrote:Options

322sivart wrote:I like the idea. Did you think of this, or did you learn it from someone else?

Thanks!
Yes, I made this up with my friends, and my English teacher liked it and tells us to use it should we get stuck with using different words or something...
:smt002 :smt001 :D

Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.
— Carl Sandburg