z

Young Writers Society

Traveling Storylines

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 am
Talulahbelle says...

I need some help. So, naturally, I came to you fine folks. Have you ever written/read a story where the characters are traveling? Well, I am. I didn't realize it in the planning stage, but now that I'm writing, my characters are just traveling from one place to another.It seems that everytime they get someplace, they find something or someone and have to travel someplace else. I'm having a hard time finding a way to change the plot to stop this (its actually a semi-sequel so certain things MUST happen.). So, do you have any tips on making traveling less boring and more like there's a cause behind it? Anyway to make it seem less pointless and random?
I sincerely appreciate any advice. Thanks!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:42 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Here's a really good "rant" on travel. It's focused on travel in fantasy, and I don't know if what you're writing is fantasy, but it could still apply!

Here it is!

If what you're writing isn't fantasy and the characters have transportation like cars/trains/planes it can be a lot easier to just glaze over travel time and make it seem short while definitely mention that it's taking a long time. On it seeming pointless, if you give them a good, legitimate reason for traveling then it has a point and won't seem so pointless. Easy as that ;)
Got YWS?

I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26