z

Young Writers Society

GAH! I hate this sentence!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:52 am
Snoink says...

Help me people! I don't know if this sentence is awkward or not, and it's driving me crazy! What's wrong with it???????????

"Small peridot butterflies were woven in her blonde hair, which was in a loose braid, and she wore an elegant light green dress."

*growls*

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:02 am
Elizabeth says...

"Small peridot butterflies were woven in her blonde hair, which was in a loose braid, and she wore an elegant light green dress."

Small peridot (whatever that means) butterflies were woven through her braided blong hair.

That's one, the entire green dress thing should go in another though... because it goes from head to dress... now if it made mention to , oh say, the butterfly flying from her hair around the dress, that would be another story.

THAT made it awkward. It's a nice sentence otherwise. :P
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:07 am
Areida says...

Trailing down her elegant green dress was a loose braid, small peridot butterflies woven into the blonde locks.

She wore an elegant green dress, its colour heightened by the blonde braid of the wearer. Small peridot butterflies were woven in, and. . . (fill in the blank)

Loosely braided, small peridot butterflies were woven into her blonde hair, which was resting against her light green dress.

Yeah... that's all I got. I think the original is awkward because it's 'description of hair, qualification about hair, something about a dress.' Or maybe it's all the adjectives.

I think I'll blame it on the adjectives. That's a buttload of adjectives to throw at a person in such a small space.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:17 am
Snoink says...

Peridot is a gem that is light green, by the way.

Hmm... closer but not there yet. And I like the adjectives... just not the order. Should I split up the sentence?

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:18 am
Firestarter says...

Yeh, too many adjectives in one place.

I'd simplify it -

Original: Small peridot butterflies were woven in her blonde hair, which was in a loose braid, and she wore an elegant light green dress.

Simplified: Butterflies were woven into her loosely braided hair, and she wore an elegant dress.

Or something to that effect. Provide the detail somewhere else, not all at once. Or spread your ideas into multiple sentences.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:47 pm
smaur says...

Hmm. A couple of things here. First of all, there's too much in the sentence, and the pronouns and conjunctions clutter it up even more. Secondly, there's no segue; most of the sentence is about her hair, and then it jumps to the dress she's wearing. Thirdly, I'd lump together the ideas of (1) her blonde hair and (2) the loose braid. So something like, "Small peridot butterflies were woven in the loose braid of her blonde hair." Or, "Small peridot butterflies were woven in her loose braid of blonde hair." Even, "Small peridot butterflies were woven in her loose blonde braid." You get the idea. :) You're better off without the "which was a" bit.

If you do decide to keep the elegant dress in the same sentence, segue from her hair to the dress. Talk about how the braid snakes down to meet her elegant light green dress. Or something like that.

And on two entirely minor notes (because I can't exist without nitpicking): "light green" should be hyphenated (light-green) and "in her blonde hair" should be "into her blonde hair." And keeping the adjectives is fine — all in all, I'm loving the prettiness of the image.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:01 am
Elelel says...

Yeah, I'm with Smaur on this one. What I noticed about it's annoyingness was not the adjectives but the way the sentences was put together. The conjunctions and whatnot. I'm a short sentence person. In case you haven't noticed. Something an English teacher once said to me was that a sentence said one thing. One idea per sentence. It's not an exact rule, but it helps you get your head around it sometimes.

And YAY!!! I knew what peridots are! Which brings me to my next point ...

So, the dress and the butterflies are the same colour, right? So why are you acting like they're different? It's a major fashion point! They match! She'd be looking a bit odd if the butterflies were bright orange but the dress was green. Plus, you can use it to work them into the same sentence if you like. Like "Small peridot butterflies to match her elegant dress ..." or something.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:15 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

My two cents worth -

In her loosely braided blonde hair, small peridot butterflies were woven in. Her matching dress...

or

In her loosely braided blonde hair, small peridot butterflies were woven in; her matching dress...

I think the problem with the original is (1) it has too many things going on (as has been previously stated) and (2) it's a bit fragmented and doesn't quite flow well.

Hope this helps m'dear.

CL
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:37 pm
Prosithion says...

Snoink wrote:Help me people! I don't know if this sentence is awkward or not, and it's driving me crazy! What's wrong with it???????????

*growls*

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it?

here you go: " Small peridot butterflies were woven in here blonde hair, which was in a loose braid. She wore an elegant light green dress"

this makes it seem better, because you are splitting up two different trains of thought.
Hope I was a lot of help.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:48 am
Snoink says...

Oh dear... this was written when I believed the first draft should be the final draft... O_o

I forget what I finally put, but yeah. The problem's been resolved. ^_^

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:14 am
Wiggy says...

Add some action. It would make it a lot more exciting!
Or possibly:

Woven into her braided long, blonde hair, the peridot butterflies matched her elegant green dress.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 pm
Elemental says...

How about:

Her blond hair was gracefully woven in a loose braid with embellisments of periodot butterflies that beautifully matched her elegant light-green dress.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:25 pm
Elemental says...

peridot*

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:51 pm
Snoink says...

XD

Final-ish version:

The freak cast a shy glance at Sadie’s mother. She was gorgeous. She wore an elegant pale green dress, embroidered with a daisy pattern. Small peridot butterflies were woven in her loosely braided hair. She looked young, almost twenty, and the freak could scarcely believe that this was Sadie’s mother.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:57 pm
Galatea says...

I was going to suggest 'plaited'. I like that word better than braided. Braided blonde is too...b. Plaited blonde sounds a little better in my head.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson