z

Young Writers Society

writing expirement for those who never end

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:26 pm
-KayJuran- says...

I think outlines are a good idea. It's just that I'm not very good at them, so a lot of the time I just don't bother with them. I've got one for my current story but it's only half done and then I don't know where the story's going after that... I think that's partly because when I started, the outline wasn't vague enough.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:45 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I'm beginning to learn the usefulness of outlines.

I used to just start them when I was within the last few chapters of the book when I was trying to make sure that I wrapped up everything that I needed to wrap up and put them in the right order and such. I didn't like the idea of planning the whole thing out at the beginning.

But now, an outline has been really helpful with the stories I'm just starting to work on now. I still haven't quite learned just how much detail I can include without throwing myself off, but I'm enjoying experimenting with it now.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:24 pm
Snoink says...

I like to get halfway through a story and then write an outline for it. In the beginning, your fingers flow, but then halfway you begin to try to wrap it up. And it works, for some strange reason. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:52 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

I've been down that road a time or two *looks at stacks of notebooks and loose papers across the floor*. I agree with most of those who posted before me, use an outline! Nothing fancy, nothing too detailed, just a general idea of where each segment is going. Then just fill in the details that truly make it a story. Especialy if you are writing a series. I remember one of my works got to be around 250 pages in two notebooks before I realized "This story isn't going anywhere. I'm just rambling". Maybe I'll try to go back to that one, I really liked the premise. Anyway, outlines are a very good idea.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:30 am
volleychik992 says...

Yes!! I have that problem. i was so proud of myself when i was able to write 23 pages of my story without writing other ones. the rule that really helped for me is that I wouldn't let myself go to sleep that night UNTIL I had written one more page of my story. Voila, it worked. Until I became obsessed with editing it and got sick of editing. This next story, I'm not even going to edit until I'm 100% done. Pinky-swear.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:35 am
Esmé says...

quote:
Yes!! I have that problem. i was so proud of myself when i was able to write 23 pages of my story without writing other ones.

I have nothing more to add.

Well, almost, lol. I never really used outlines, it seemed to take the fun lut of writing, Recently though I wrote one and I plan to stick to it, lol.

---

Elein you shall finish you story. Eleinm you shal finish your story. Elein, you shal finish your story. Elein you shall finish you story. Eleinm you shal finish your story. Elein, you shal finish your story.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:08 pm
BluesClues says...

You know what actually helped me was doing National Novel Writing Month last year. Deadlines work wonders! Yes, it's just a first-draft story and it's certainly not ready for publishing, but the point is, it's DONE. Now I can go off of my first draft and make it better - but at least getting it all out onto paper is done, plus I now know that I actually CAN finish a story, which is great for my self-esteem, confidence, and writing. Since I HAVE finished a story, I know I can finish others, and that pushes me to keep going, even if I get stuck.

You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken