z

Young Writers Society

Speed Writing

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:41 am
Fishr says...

A technique that was taught to me by an English teacher, although I only recently dabbled in it again after a four year lapse. So I'll try to explain to the best of my ability. "Speed writing" is a simple concept. Basically all the writer does is, well write that anything that comes to their mind. The idea is to write without thinking what you're writing. It also helps to time yourself. I suggest one to three minutes of nonstop writing.

Only thing is, you make hate to look at your scrawled handwriting after wards! :)

Like I mentioned above, as I was speed writing, I formed names of character's that popped into my head and ironically I developed a plot, lol. Go figure. I will mention, this technique does take practice and as you get the hang of it, you may start to see patterns or repetition, while your writing quickly in which case you can correct it in the future. Also, you may find that you're able to figure out plots or that ONE speciel character's name isn't as hard to find as you thought.

The last piece of advice I can offer is, for the serious writer's, recording all "speed" work is definitely a wise idea. Reading over past work should strengthening your ability when you really want to sit and serious ally write. It also may help give ideas later on for a story.

Hope this helps; it did wonders for me recently. I may have to do this activity more often. :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:02 am
Duskglimmer says...

I've used this. In fact, I used it just today. It's alot of fun (for me at least) and it really does help you figure things out and brainstorm and such. It's a great technique once you learn how to use it.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:39 am
Areida says...

Yep. I do this from time to time, and it's especially great for pulling myself out of writer's block.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:26 pm
RoxanneR says...

Yeh, your mind lets in more ideas when you're not thinking about them than it does when you are struggling to think!

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:38 pm
Sam says...

I call 'em 'Word Wars' (a la NaNoWriMo) so I feel productive, but usually something weird and cool results. It's quite fun, especially when you don't really care about anything but the word count on the bottom of the screen.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:37 pm
Mickiemoo says...

My sister does that, she just sits there writing, writing down what ever name, place, plot that comes into her head, i tried it today, interesting really, i basically used my friends names and plaes that i love, and things that have happened to me in th epast! lol!!!!!! its really fun!!!

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:50 pm
Unrecompensed says...

I don't get it. Why make more work for yourself? Okay, maybe as a little boredom cure, but to write a story? Surely it's better to go at a pace you're comfortable with.

- Andy
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:11 am
Snoink says...

Unrecompensed wrote:I don't get it. Why make more work for yourself? Okay, maybe as a little boredom cure, but to write a story? Surely it's better to go at a pace you're comfortable with.

- Andy

But this is just practice! If you stop writing, you'll find it harder to get back in. Thus, practice is always good. :D Especially if you're working on calculus and stuff...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:38 am
Fishr says...

I see my little article, if anyone wants to call it that, has been reborn and attracted interest.

;)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:20 am
View Likes
Icaruss says...

That's esencially what I do. All the time. With my work, like. I mean, this novel I'm writing. I just sat down, and thought about one phrase, and then everything came like vomit. The first chapter is a speech about why a guy shouldn't kill somebody. And when I was done with that, I said, hell, that's actually pretty good. And then I wrote the title of another chapter, using a girl's name. And then it was easy. As I wrote, I said, who's the girl? What's she doing here? And I kept going. But I didn't stop, you understand. There was no pause.

And when I was done, I read over it, and cleaned it up. And now, I'm basically doing that every day, for each "chapter". I do have a plot now, though. And somewhere to go.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:32 pm
Wiggy says...

I need to try some speed writing. Maybe no more writer's block then! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:13 am
Manzanna says...

I did this on Christmas Eve. I ended up creating an entire outline for my novel that I had been stumped on.
"When you're nothing, you're free to believe anything." - Milkweed

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:52 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... I did this and came up with my best draft for a beginning of Unicorn Killers yet! Mind you, it still sucks and needs to be edited to death, but still! :D

...it being a word war also helped, LMAO.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:25 pm
Esmé says...

Hmmm... This method actually has a name?
I usually end up doing that. In fact, if I think about what I write, I don't write anything at all. Horrible.
I mean, if I stop to think what I want to write about, I think of nothing at all. If I am writing... eh, I'm not thinking much, but at least there's something on the screen. AND its 60 % sensible and clear. Decipherable.

Reviews: 4
Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:57 pm
View Likes
Zeige says...

i do this sometimes usally when i'm bored, i just watch tv or something and scribble down notes and ideas in a notebook, granted most of the time its garbage but i do get a few good ideas or bits and peices i use in my story, but its not a method that garentees success alot of the time i just end up with a couple pages of complete dribble:p
-The Alpha-

“Such nonsense!" declared Dr Greysteel. "Whoever heard of cats doing anything useful!" "Except for staring at one in a supercilious manner," said Strange. "That has a sort of moral usefulness, I suppose, in making one feel uncomfortable and encouraging sober reflection upon one's imperfections.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell