z

Young Writers Society

Is this description plausible?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:46 pm
DaxKemp says...

It resembled a hot glue gun, with a hypodermic needle attached to the front of the barrel in lieu of a nozzle.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:16 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

I think it's a fine description. Unique, but not so far out there that know sane person would actually think of.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Sat May 07, 2011 8:53 am
View Likes
Jashael says...

What Phoenix said.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun May 08, 2011 4:22 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

It's a little odd, but I think it gets the point across. The only problem would be if it doesn't fit in the context of the story. Just make sure the description fits whoever is describing it (the narrator/viewpoint character). If they normally describe things similarly to this description, then it works perfectly.
Got YWS?

Reviews: 4
Tue May 17, 2011 2:41 am
View Likes
Moestitia says...

It sure does make sense; I rather like it - it's quirky.
"First I thought it was a dream
But then it smashed into reality
Beautiful on the outside,
Decayed deeply within."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue May 17, 2011 6:45 am
Snoink says...

Hmm... I'm not so sure. The description is fine upon first glance, but if you stop to think about it, it's a bit confusing.

I'm a little confused as to how such a machine would work though... the mechanics of it, I mean. Part of the reason why a hot glue gun is so useful is because it has the nozzle that allows you to spread the glue in a consistent fashion while pushing the trigger to release to gun at the appropriate rate. However, with a hypodermic needle, you have no need to spread since you're going to inject in the first place. So, why bother?

Unless, of course, what you're doing is you're spreading a very fine line of something and it doesn't actually act as a hypodermic needle. But, in that case I'm not sure why you would describe it like that in the first place.

It might be better to come up with different things that resemble the action of what you're trying to do. Instead of a hot glue gun, for instance, a gun might be a better describer because it has a hint of violence to it as well. Unless, of course, you want to have that consistent flow of fluid that's more apt of the hot glue gun and less like the hypodermic needle. But, then you might want to get rid of the needle imagery, because that usually indicates something going in fast.

I don't know... what's the purpose of this equipment?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah